Brew Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelsBrewing

Reaction score
Hi,

I need to pick everyone's brain here a little. I found a 10 Gallon brew kettle on Craig's List with the thermometer and ball valve, stainless, for $102.00. After a few emails to the seller he directed me to this link: http://www.spikebrewing.com/

I want to believe this is a legit site located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin but with this price and PayPal I have my doubts. Anyone ever heard of this site or bought from this guy before (Ben Caya).

Cheers!

i too am in the market. i think that price is without the ball valve and thermometer. if click the pic and read the description, it says (Optional ball valve and thermometer shown)

bferullo said:
i too am in the market. i think that price is without the ball valve and thermometer. if click the pic and read the description, it says (Optional ball valve and thermometer shown)

Hi.

I think you are right. I can find the ball valve for 20.00 but there isn't a thermometer listed on the page. Still I wonder if it is legit.

I got one of these from Amazon for $50, and am very happy with it. Yes, its Aluminum, but it is very thick and rigid. 3 times as thick as the cheap fryer pots I got from Winco a couple years ago.

4137YLp%2B0xL._SS500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy posted in long island in ny but is in Wisconsin I believe. That throws flags up for me

For $6 more u can get a 10 gallon. I might for for it

He is legit as I am him :mug:

Here's an old reference from when I was making keggles.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/great-deal-keggle-188296/

Not sure on the site, but those pots look pretty thin (<1mm to 1mm sides and bottoms).
1mm thick is plenty thick. A keg is 1.2mm and those are designed to be beat up by college students for years. My 10gal is a thinner gauge but not everyone can afford a $250 first kettle.

I can furnish other references if necessary. Any questions feel free to email or call.

Ben Caya
[email protected]

The owner of spike brewing emailed me this morning. It is a legit operation, and seems really cheap to me.

Well i'm glad that rumor was dispelled, looks like a nice product for a fair price, good luck Ben:mug:

Thank you sir. All purchases may be tax deductible (depending how good your accountant is) because all proceeds go towards a poor engineering students tuition (myself :p).

1mm thick is plenty thick. A keg is 1.2mm and those are designed to be beat up by college students for years. My 10gal is a thinner gauge but not everyone can afford a $250 first kettle.

I can furnish other references if necessary. Any questions feel free to email or call.

Ben Caya
[email protected]

Well I'm glad that was cleared up. I have never had a good experience when someone listed something in a city that wasnt local. You'll be my first one when I finally order.

I have not seen a review of these kettles on this forum, only references to the keggles that Ben used to sell. I bought one of these in August to use as a HLT. I was charged another $20 for shipping. It arrived severely dented and the couplers are poorly welded (It has a very tiny leak). It looks like Ben has since switched to solder and different configurations, so maybe quality has improved. I feel as though it is way too thin, I would not feel comfortable using it on a burner or installing an element. To Ben's credit, he offered a full refund for a return. I did not want to deal with returning it. I still use it, but I am looking to replace it.

I have not seen a review of these kettles on this forum, only references to the keggles that Ben used to sell. I bought one of these in August to use as a HLT. I was charged another $20 for shipping. It arrived severely dented and the couplers are poorly welded (It has a very tiny leak). It looks like Ben has since switched to solder and different configurations, so maybe quality has improved. I feel as though it is way too thin, I would not feel comfortable using it on a burner or installing an element. To Ben's credit, he offered a full refund for a return. I did not want to deal with returning it. I still use it, but I am looking to replace it.

The trained monkeys handling packages at FedEx sometimes don't care the best of care with packages. We did have around 5 kettles go out that had small pinhole leaks. All kettles (except yours) were returned and new kettles were sent out next day. We found out that we were welding on a seam which was welded badly from the factory (go figure the Chinese don't always make the highest quality). The solder technique we now use leaves a clean great looking joint. We have also switch kettle suppliers. The kettles we now use are about 50% thicker; very nice product.

Defective products sometimes happen when running a business but we will always stand behind the stuff we sell and make it right in the end. My offer still stands to replace your kettle...

-Ben

Ben Caya
[email protected]

Hi!

Thank you! I knew the best way to get a good read would be through this forum. I appreciate all the information you have provided and when I buy I will definitly go with you! Question, is the $102.00 with the ball valve and thermometer (10 gal)? If not, how much for the 10 gal pot, ball valve, and the thermometer?

Thanks again! :tank:

Hi!

Thank you! I knew the best way to get a good read would be through this forum. I appreciate all the information you have provided and when I buy I will definitly go with you! Question, is the $102.00 with the ball valve and thermometer (10 gal)? If not, how much for the 10 gal pot, ball valve, and the thermometer?

Thanks again! :tank:

A 10gal pot with 2 couplers is $105. I have ball valves for $20. I currently do not have any thermometers although plenty of vendors on here sell them.

-Ben

Ben -

Glad to see you are on here because for whatever reason it gives me more reassurance of your legitimacy. I plan to order shortly after the holidays since it seems like such a good deal. I've sent your PDF to a few of my friends.

PS - next time put all the email addresses in the BCC field. :)

Ben -

Glad to see you are on here because for whatever reason it gives me more reassurance of your legitimacy. I plan to order shortly after the holidays since it seems like such a good deal. I've sent your PDF to a few of my friends.

PS - next time put all the email addresses in the BCC field. :)

1000 apologies about that! Sent out using the server and it didn't go as planned :eek:

Legit or not, businesses that spam out of state craigslists are anti-legit in my book. For me it's a deal breaker regardless of how good the price or value is.

That sort of thing is in violation of Craigslist Terms of Use item 7v.

Legit or not, businesses that spam out of state craigslists are anti-legit in my book. For me it's a deal breaker regardless of how good the price or value is.

That sort of thing is in violation of Craigslist Terms of Use item 7v.

That's your opinion and I respect that. However many of my customers would disagree and be happy they found a great deal on a kettle.

That's your opinion and I respect that. However many of my customers would disagree and be happy they found a great deal on a kettle.

Yeah, I'm cool with it. My buddy sent me the local CL link for his kettle. Pretty sure I am going to buy one, since he emailed me right away with an answer and his location. Besides, it's free shipping for over $50 orders...so what's the difference if he's local or not. :rockin:

Back