brew kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devlzluv

Reaction score
Since im still a noob asking this question to just make sure since you guys are alot better at this then me. Last week i got a great deal on some brewing equipment of craigslist. I have a decent amount of money that the SWMBO is letting me use for this around 1500 total for equipment and keggerator. Right now as it stands i have a 5 gallon glass carboy, racking cane, cap for the carboy, siphon tube, 2 blow offs.

Now i know the keg is gonna cost around 700 to make unless I find good deal locally for fridge and such. But I still need 1 to 2 7 gallon pots and another bucket for bottling (gotta have a few on hand even though i got keg for friends to test them) and plus or minus other equipment. Im really looking at just buying another kit that way I have alot of extras to always keep brewing.

I blame mr beer for this cuz my addiction is getting crazy and wanna the real brewing soon but wanna make sure I get the right stuff and build more off that. So any help would be appreciated plus its gotta be soon I dont know how much longer I can keep the wifey saying its ok get what u want, everyone knows how women are and can change there minds in a minute.

Later fellow brewers :mug:
dev

Midwest has great complete kits including ones that come with a keg or 2 and all the junk to get started with that. If I were starting again...I'd start there. They also have a dvd (never seen it) that walks you through the process.

Midwest has great complete kits including ones that come with a keg or 2 and all the junk to get started with that. If I were starting again...I'd start there. They also have a dvd (never seen it) that walks you through the process.

+1 to Midwest kits. The DVD that comes with it is not high quality but the information presented is good. Really helped me as I have never watched anybody brew before you got to see the process. That DVD is a great overview of what needs to be done to get a batch of beer going.

Master Brewer’s Kit with Kegging Setup :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies
looking at gettign this but question is i wanna run dual taps on my keggerator not just one will this kit let me do that and this other kit im also gettign since its got more carbopys and such, got a room gonna be devoted to this so i always have beer on tap woohoo
heres the other
EVERYTHING + A CARBOY - Complete Brewing Package Equipment Kit #2 w/ Irish Red Ale :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

You can run dual taps, with the MW Keg kit you will have to get a splitter and additional gas hose to split the gas line so you can gas two kegs at once. If you wish to run the kegs at different pressures or use different pressures on each line you would need a dual regulator. You would also need another liquid line setup.

Keep an eye on things like Freecycle or Craig's List for used fridges, you can save a ton of money. Also, check online resturaunt suppliers for kettles, you might save some bucks, especially if you'r not opposed to aluminum.

On the subject of kettles, if you're planning on doing full boils, 8gal is teh minimum and 10gal is better. When doing full boils, you'll be starting somewhere around 7 gal to finish with 5.5 gal. You WILL want the extra space in the kettle for foam before the hot break.

+1 on having more than one tap, variety is the spice...

Keep an eye on things like Freecycle or Craig's List for used fridges, you can save a ton of money. Also, check online resturaunt suppliers for kettles, you might save some bucks, especially if you'r not opposed to aluminum.

On the subject of kettles, if you're planning on doing full boils, 8gal is teh minimum and 10gal is better. When doing full boils, you'll be starting somewhere around 7 gal to finish with 5.5 gal. You WILL want the extra space in the kettle for foam before the hot break.

+1 on having more than one tap, variety is the spice...

this is the crappy thing about it, i gotta stay with the 5 gallon to max of mayb 6 gallon kettles. my stove top (live in a condo) only can take so much before it hits, im actually gonna kettle the way deathbrewer does it with dual 5 gallon pots thats all. Next summer ima graduate to the 10 gal kettles (turkey fryers) if im ready to go AG that way i can do it outside in my condo/apt area. maybe i can get more brewers in the area to come out; 1 could only hope.

On the other subject ya dual taps on draft :tank: ill get the splitter and talk to midwest and see if I can get a dual regulator for it and the extra to do the dual lines. my friend actually if giving me his mid size dorm style fridge to hold these. goal is to have 2 on tap with room for 1 more to keep it cold to lager it.

Just some advice. Im a still new to brewing. and I'll be honest. I would bottle a few beers before I run down and buy a keg system. Keg is nice to have, you can drink your beer faster. But i think it better to get the whole picture of homebrew from start to finish. After you brew a few beers I would start kegging

Have fun brewing.

Just some advice. Im a still new to brewing. and I'll be honest. I would bottle a few beers before I run down and buy a keg system. Keg is nice to have, you can drink your beer faster. But i think it better to get the whole picture of homebrew from start to finish. After you brew a few beers I would start kegging

Have fun brewing.

lol ya ive already bottled once from mr beer i know its not the same but my SWMBO is already about to kill me since ive taken up claim to the fridge thats why im going kegging now. Im still going to bottle bout 6-12 from each batch just for ya know down the road in like 6 months to see how much better they get with age but kegging is my only option due to the wifey

Back