Brew Kettle Deals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramathorn937

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm getting ready to start purchasing equipment for homebrew. I've been doing tons of research and just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I spend money poorly.

I've got an online coupon for Bed, Bath, and Beyond for 20% off. I can get a Bayou Classic SS 36qt pot for $63 shipped.

Is this a pretty good deal or should i look elsewhere?

Hey guys!

I'm getting ready to start purchasing equipment for homebrew. I've been doing tons of research and just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I spend money poorly.

I've got an online coupon for Bed, Bath, and Beyond for 20% off. I can get a Bayou Classic SS 36qt pot for $63 shipped.

What type of brewing are you looking to do? 36 quarts is 9 gallons and a full 5 gallon batch requires you to boil about 7 gallons. Some people will tell you this is not enough head space, but I routinely boil 7 gallons in an 8 gallon pot. If you're doing batches bigger than 5 gallons, then the pot is undersized.

Hey guys!

The only one from BB&B I see is $99. Can you provide the link to the one you are talking about?

What type of brewing are you looking to do? 36 quarts is 9 gallons and a full 5 gallon batch requires you to boil about 7 gallons. Some people will tell you this is not enough head space, but I routinely boil 7 gallons in an 8 gallon pot. If you're doing batches bigger than 5 gallons, then the pot is undersized.

To start I plan to do extract kits. In which case I was under the impression I'd only be boiling approx 2.5~3 gallons of water for a 5 gallon batch. I figured a 5 gallon pot wasn't big enough.

I brew 5 gallon batches of extract in a 5 gallon kettle currently. I steep my grains in about 2 gallons of water then after my extract is added I top up with water to about 4 gallons. Boil for an hour then chill and transfer to fermenting vessel. After boiloff, I top off with water in the fermenter to get it back up to 5 gallons.

If you're looking to just do 5 gallon extract batches, a 5 gallon kettle will be fine. If you consider ever going all grain, you will need a bigger kettle.

That's where I'm at right now..I built a cooler MLT but I need a bigger kettle so I can do full volume boils.

i also make my extract in a 5 gallon kettle for a 5 gallon batch,

i boil about 3, and top up with clean water in the bucket.

If you're looking to just do 5 gallon extract batches, a 5 gallon kettle will be fine. If you consider ever going all grain, you will need a bigger kettle.

The biggest concern I have with moving to AG, and using larger pots in general. Is that I live in an apartment with electric stove. I'm worried that the electric stove will have a hard time bringing such a large pot to a boil. Eventually I may end up getting a propane burner and using outside... but I'm on the 2nd floor and then I'll have to figure out how to transfer that huge kettle of wort upstairs.... so yeah..

A five gallon pot is plenty big for a five gallon extract batch. I do 5 gallon extract brews in a 5 gallon aluminum pot that I had for steaming lobsters before I started brewing. Bought at the local grocery store for about $20. I then went to a turkey fryer that is 7.5 gallons. With a full volume, you have to start your boil very carefully to avoid a boil over.

someone's going to say it, may as well be me...
"have you considered BIAB ? "

I haven't looked much into BIAB. I've currently been reading 'How to Brew' By John Palmer. Just trying to get a good idea of exactly what I'm getting myself into. I've done some reading on the /r/homebrewing and some reading on here. I'm really looking for a cheap route to get started the right way. Not that I'm trying to be cheap, but it's important to me that I spend my money wisely.

i'm i nthe exact same boat, about to start my fifth extract brew.

i got into it to save money, so as you can imagine, i'm pretty frugal ... keeping my own house yeast going and stuff.
...tending to your yeast will save tons of money.

i make my brews typically based on whatever is on sale. i scour the cheap internet deals then think "hmm those could make an abbey ale"

i'm i nthe exact same boat, about to start my fifth extract brew.

i got into it to save money, so as you can imagine, i'm pretty frugal ... keeping my own house yeast going and stuff.
...tending to your yeast will save tons of money.

i make my brews typically based on whatever is on sale. i scour the cheap internet deals then think "hmm those could make an abbey ale"

After my wife and I split last summer... I was left with a lot of debt that I didn't realize we had collected. I'm using brewing as a way to save money and just for fun. So, I don't mind getting quality equipment, as long as it's justified by it's expansion ability in the future.

I've learned my lesson on impulse buying... so that's why I'm trying to be so careful and ask so many questions.

The biggest concern I have with moving to AG, and using larger pots in general. Is that I live in an apartment with electric stove. I'm worried that the electric stove will have a hard time bringing such a large pot to a boil. Eventually I may end up getting a propane burner and using outside... but I'm on the 2nd floor and then I'll have to figure out how to transfer that huge kettle of wort upstairs.... so yeah..

I brew 5 gallon batches on my glass top electric range stove. I boil 4 gallons in a 5 gallon kettle. It takes a while to get a boil going, but once it goes I can get a nice rolling boil to stay the whole time.

Eventually when I have it all set up I'm going to get a propane burner so I can brew outside or in my garage. But for now, my setup works great!

Back