Brew Kettle advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riggs1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased a Bayou Classic 10 gal kettle from Amazom.com back in January. The thermometer that came with it is defective. I have emailed back and forth with Bayou and it has been determined that since I bought it from Amazon, I have to get a replacement from them. The only thing that Amazon offers is to return the entire purchase, kettle and all.

So, with that in mind I am returning everything back to Amazon and going to purchase a new kettle. I am asking for recommendations for a good brand.

Should I go with Spike Brewing, SS, try another Bayou Classic or something else? Should I get one with a thermometer or use a clip on style or digital? I was considering one with out the thermometer, using a false bottom with a basket to help with removing the grain bag. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Seriously considering buying direct rather than Amazon for this purchase.

Thank you.

I bought this 10 gallon aluminum and like it a lot. The price is definitely right ($30). Haven't been able to convince myself that I need a built in thermometer, level gauge, or even a valve, so I couldn't justify spending the extra money on them.

I just drop my water proof digital temp probe in the mash to read temp. Volumes are measured by wort height. Wort is tranferred with a pitcher until there's so little I can just pick up the kettle and dump it all into the fermenter.

http://m.staples.com/touch/product.html#1115499

The guy from Spike Brewing (I think his name is Dan) did a presentation at one of our club meetings. Those are the cleanest kettles I have ever seen and he will do any custom fabrication you want. They are not induction ready,but you can get the tri-clover fitting for an element. Hands down best kettle I've seen.

I have a 15 gallon Megapot 1.2 and a Blichmann Breweasy setup. I like both brands a lot, but I think after dealing with weldless fittings I would opt for a welded pot. I know there are some different brands out there, but spike would be my personal selection. I've never done any business with them, just like the clean look and the fact they are real people vs a huge corp.

I had a 7.5G alumn kettle, worked fine for awhile. I got used to sparging for awhile then a did a big grain bill and was annoyed.

Got the same kettle as texaswine, then got a 9gal ss kettle with ball valve from AiH for about $40 on black Friday. I highly recommend a valve, but have little use for a sight gauge or side mounted thermometer. A metal ruler and a probe thermometer do just fine.

Concord kettles are pretty good and cheap too. If you have the right tools, you can add a ball valve on the front as well. I wouldn't worry too much about a thermometer because it just gets in the way of the bag anyways...:mug:

I searched high and low for a 15g kettle and I ended up with a concord off ebay and then a simple ball valve from bargainfittings. Get a step drill for easy install and pass on all the other metal inside the kettle. With BIAB less is more. good luck!

I bought this 10 gallon aluminum and like it a lot. The price is definitely right ($30). Haven't been able to convince myself that I need a built in thermometer, level gauge, or even a valve, so I couldn't justify spending the extra money on them.

I just drop my water proof digital temp probe in the mash to read temp. Volumes are measured by wort height. Wort is tranferred with a pitcher until there's so little I can just pick up the kettle and dump it all into the fermenter.

http://m.staples.com/touch/product.html#1115499

Sorry about the :off: but...

@TexasWine: What water prood digital temp probe do you use?

Brew on :mug:

Sorry about the :off: but...

@TexasWine: What water prood digital temp probe do you use?

Brew on :mug:

Well, after looking high and low, I couldn't find official documentation that says the thermometer I'm using is water proof. Not even water resistant. But I can say that I, and apparently another brewer on Amazon, have had success with this probe. To quote their review on Amazon.

"The benefit of the silicone probe is that it is water tight. "

I'd have to agree with the reviewer's assessment. I plop the probe right into the mash, fully submerged, throw the lid on and leave it the entire 30 minutes. Hasn't given me any trouble in 9 months of use.

Here's the link.

Polder Digital In-Oven Thermometer/Timer, Graphite color https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P6FLOY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a Megapot with valve and thermometer. I think it is a great pot. I have no problems with the probe snagging the bag.

I use the same thermometer as Texaswine. It is a great thermometer. I use it with the probe immersed in the mash for up to 90 minutes. It does not state it is waterproof. It seems to be though.

Here it is in use

Grain 1.jpg

End of Mash.jpg

5 hydrometer readings at correct temperature.jpg

Hmm..The thermometer in your megapot is mounted quite low, much lower than some I've seen pictures of. That may be why some have trouble with the bag catching on the thermometer while you did not. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Hmm..The thermometer in your megapot is mounted quite low, much lower than some I've seen pictures of. That may be why some have trouble with the bag catching on the thermometer while you did not. Thanks for posting the pictures.

It looks like a good spot to me. You don't want the thermometer too high because if you make a smaller batch it might not reach the thermometer.
This is a problem when making 5 gallon batches in a 15 gallon Blichmann Boilermaker.

Use the stirring spoon to keep the bag away from the probe when raising the bag.

It's at about 3.5 gallons . (would need to double check that)

One thing I would suggest if getting a pot with handles and planning a valve and thermometer would be to place the holes in the same plane as the handles. That way the pot is narrower in one dimension for carrying storage etc. no biggie but easily done on request I'm sure.

The guy from Spike Brewing (I think his name is Dan) did a presentation at one of our club meetings. Those are the cleanest kettles I have ever seen and he will do any custom fabrication you want. They are not induction ready,but you can get the tri-clover fitting for an element. Hands down best kettle I've seen.

Ben, I believe.

I just had some custom kettles delivered from him about a month ago. I havent brewed on them yet, since Im still finished my electrical panel, but they are gorgeous. The welds are FANTASTIC. He was so insanely patient as I made alterations to my kettle design, where I wanted temp probes placed, etc. Ultimately I have three kettles that are exactly how I want them, and it still cost me $500 less than Blichman would have. I couldnt be happier.

I "pimped: my kettle out as others have done.

1: Poor man's false bottom to prevent bag damage. (this is not SS and I am looking for another easy solution)

2: SS 1/2 inch barb and 90 elbow as dip tube

3:1/4 gallon etched markings

Cooling Rack.jpg

dip tube 2.jpg

Volume Marks.jpg

I appreciate everyone's input, suggestions and ideas. After thinking things over, I decided to switch gears a little. I did a lot of researching on this site and decided to make a mash tun using FlyGuy's tutorial on the 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler. I then purchased a 10 gallon kettle from Spike Brewing (Uncle Sam was good this year). Ben at Spike Brewing was great to deal with and was very patient with me and all the questions I had. Thanks to all again.

SpikeKettle.jpg

Spike is awesome, I picked up a 15 gal from them a month or so ago, great kettle indeed! Let us know how your first batch ends up.

Back