Brew in a basket (hooks)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earthson

Reaction score
I'm looking to get into BIABasket vs the bag. We seem to be a little more limited up here in Canada in terms of supply. The only basket I see popping up on search results is this Basket from OntarioBeerKegs, but it doesn't come with any way to support it in when draining the wort after the mash. I've seen some videos on YouTube from ClawHammerSupply, and they have very simple flat s hook designed supports. They look like they are almost perfect. I'm just wondering what you guys use for your setup.

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 1.59.28 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-27 at 1.59.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-27 at 2.01.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-27 at 2.02.18 PM.png

One brew into my BIAB journey... my setup has hooks on the basket.

I also have a hoist to lift the basket up.

I decided that hanging it from the hoist till the mash finished draining was good enough and decided not to use the hooks. That could be because it's a pretty big basket though.

@Punx Clever - where did you get yours? Could you upload a photo? Just curious what it looks like.

I'm also considering just putting down a wire rack across the top of the kettle. It would support the basket and still drain easily. Probably the cheapest option. And I like cheap options 👍

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 1.21.39 PM.png

I would skiip the hooks and the wire rack and use a double ratcheting pulley. Far better then the other options imo.

you will need a simple overhead attachment point...

I made my own basket system, used 10mm x 2mm flat aluminium bar and aluminium 0.9 mosquito mesh took a long time to stitch the mesh to the frame with fishing line though, it was worth it for me as in South Africa there is no available source for these type of items
IMG_20200208_111709.jpg
. set it up with hooks as I suspend it from an agitator motor and spin at 30rpm to keep my brew temperature constant, I use another framework to hold my basket up above the wort for lautering and sparging.

I use a 31cm basket in a 33cm kettle and it works great. I found these stainless steel hooks/brackets at the dollar store.

DSC_0649.jpg

I had to bend them a bit, but they do the trick. I think they're designed for hanging plant baskets from the ceiling.

@Earthson - Did you end up finding a solution that works for you? Fellow Canuck here with a basket from OntarioBeerKegs, and I was looking at those hooks from Clawhammer as well but hoping to find something cheaper.

Latest posts

Back