Brew/Hangout Shed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if I should put this in the DIY forum or not. I am not planning on starting this until next summer, so it isn't officially a "DIY" yet. Plus, this forum seems to get more traffic.

I have been combing the internet for different ideas for a shed build. We purchased a house last year that we have been working on remodeling. The main house is nearly complete, and next summer I would like to build a shed out in the back yard where I can set up a hangout and have all of my brew equipment as well as my keezer (I will probably end up building a new keezer - but the point is I would like to have a bar out there in the end). We currently have plans of building a nice fire pit area right next to the "Man Shed". I would also like to build it big enough for some storage of other things. I am also an avid BBQ fan and I would like to incorporate my smoker and grill into the build as well.

I figured that there must be at least a few of you out there in HBT land that have something like this. If you are willing, I would love to see/hear about what you have done. Just looking for ideas at this point.

Thanks!

Devin

Figure out exactly how much square footage you will need for the brewery, bar, smoker/BBQ and storage, then double it. Also, if you're married, plan on building a shed for her (potting bench, storage, greenhouse, whatever) so your space isn't invaded by outside forces.:mug:

Hey Devin,
I got a 12' x 8' shed for my brewing hangout. You will want to go much larger...like 3 times that. I am short on space where I am at so I had to go small. There is room in there for maybe 2 other people when it is brew time, and I have space inside there that keeps all my beer related items too, like carboys, kegs, bottles, and such...it really would benefit you to build as large as you can afford...maybe do an overhanging roof for the bbq area just outside? I got about enough space left that I could squeeze a kegerator or maybe a glycol chiller in, but that would finish me...fwiw...

This is an article with associated Youtube videos by a beer writer who got a free shed from a major shed retailer in return for documenting the build of her brew shed :
http://www.letmetellyouaboutbeer.co.uk/2016/12/lets-build-and-brew-it-right.html

It's on the small side, but the obvious thing that stands out is the lack of wipe-down surfaces. I'd want something like linoleum on the floor (and going at least a few inches up the bottom of the walls to contain spills and make cleaning easy, like the pic halfway down http://www.florock.net/industrial-f...y-epoxy-flooring-solutions/lab-room-flooring/ )

[no affiliation]

Hey Devin,
I got a 12' x 8' shed for my brewing hangout. You will want to go much larger...like 3 times that. I am short on space where I am at so I had to go small. There is room in there for maybe 2 other people when it is brew time, and I have space inside there that keeps all my beer related items too, like carboys, kegs, bottles, and such...it really would benefit you to build as large as you can afford...maybe do an overhanging roof for the bbq area just outside? I got about enough space left that I could squeeze a kegerator or maybe a glycol chiller in, but that would finish me...fwiw...

My current plan is to have the BBQ area outside. Build some permanent storage for my smoker and grills that I can wheel out onto the patio area. I am thinking about having a covered porch area, but haven't really decided on any layout quite yet.

You got any pictures of your setup?

This is an article with associated Youtube videos by a beer writer who got a free shed from a major shed retailer in return for documenting the build of her brew shed :
http://www.letmetellyouaboutbeer.co.uk/2016/12/lets-build-and-brew-it-right.html

It's on the small side, but the obvious thing that stands out is the lack of wipe-down surfaces. I'd want something like linoleum on the floor (and going at least a few inches up the bottom of the walls to contain spills and make cleaning easy, like the pic halfway down http://www.florock.net/industrial-f...y-epoxy-flooring-solutions/lab-room-flooring/ )

[no affiliation]

Great stuff! Thanks for the links!

I'll see about snapping a couple more current one and posting them tomorrow Devin. I have not finished it completely yet, but I am very close. Had to undo some wiring to put heavier gauge in, and still needing to make my "Hood-vent". Got most of the materials, now just saving to get the rest and put it all together.....

Im in the process of completing my brew shed. Go at least twice the size you think you might need. I ordered a 10x16 (do to limitations of the space in the backyard) from the local pre built shed lot here in town. Wish I had of got at least a 10x20 or even a 12x20. Good luck on your build

Man I back out my two cars out of my 20'x30' three car garage and brew right in the middle of it and I still feel like I run out of space!

If you have a yen to build it yourself, doing a small shed can be a fun project. I built this one in 2007, for my woodshop. It's 10' x 20' with 10' ceiling. Poured concrete pad and 2x4 wall framing with fiberglass insulation. All framing was stick-built, except the roof trusses, which I bought at Menard's. I ran electric to it and installed a subpanel in the shed. I have a small 5000W 240V electric heater and a window a/c.

Not exactly optimized for brewing, but you get the idea.

shed1.jpg

shed2.jpg

shed3.jpg

Nice looking build!

I am planning on building mine myself. The size limitation is really negotiations with the wife. How big of a shed she is going to let me put in the back yard.

Thanks.

I really enjoyed designing and building mine. Took up the whole summer and much of the fall that year, working on it a little at a time on weekends. My city only allows up to 200 sq. ft., so that was my limitation. I would have doubled the size if I could have. But I manage to do all my woodworking projects in that space. For brewing, I use the garage, or the kitchen stove (for small batches).

If you want more pics or have questions, PM me.

I finished the inside of my shed last winter. It is 10' wide by 18' deep on the inside and came with the house. I insulated it and finished the inside with pallet wood. I was going to poor a concrete floor but I am a carpenter and we had left over material so I put in a plywood floor with vct over it, you cant beat free. If I were to build one it would be at least 20'x20'. If you want to bbq and store a lawn mower id go bigger.

I have enough room for everything I do but if there are 3 of us in there its a little tight, I really wish I could put my foose ball table in it but then I'd have no room.

My design changes I would make are running a 50a sub panel, now I have a 20a direct bury romex to feed the shed and use a 30 amp rv cord for brewing so its exposed on top of my grass unless I wind it up. Also I would have a Frost-Proof Yard Hydrant feeding pipes that are drainable. Idk if you need the draining or frost proof in nm but I would want to have a water line to my next shed. I'd run a cat6 cable for internet too. I forgot to put one in the trench and now have to suffer with a wifi range extender. You should run a coaxal cable while your at it for tv I just use an antenna but you might want cable out there.

Things I'm glad I did are putting outlets every where. you have to realize that you can only draw so much at one time but it's so nice, i think I put 20 in there. Cathedral ceilings, Its so nice having all that open space. Also adequate lighting, I have 6 100w equivalent led bulbs in the ceiling, 3 led flood lights over kettles, cfl over sink, and a cfl over work bench till I get cabinets with under-lighting. I made my exhausht hood out of pallet wood for the sides and ply wood for the top and have a 6" vortex fan over the bk. The stainless ones are nice but I wouldn't hesitate to build one out of plywood, caulk the joints and paint the inside with hi gloss exterior paint. 2 tvs, I have a tv for my Bills games and a projector for playing some super mario bros when cursing the Bills with our 20 year playoff drought.

IMG_20171009_181750769.jpg

IMG_20171009_181831792.jpg

IMG_20171009_182531931.jpg

IMG_20171009_182017414.jpg

IMG_20171009_182005537.jpg

IMG_20171009_182424449.jpg

I finished the inside of my shed last winter. It is 10' wide by 18' deep on the inside and came with the house. I insulated it and finished the inside with pallet wood. I was going to poor a concrete floor but I am a carpenter and we had left over material so I put in a plywood floor with vct over it, you cant beat free. If I were to build one it would be at least 20'x20'. If you want to bbq and store a lawn mower id go bigger.

I have enough room for everything I do but if there are 3 of us in there its a little tight, I really wish I could put my foose ball table in it but then I'd have no room.

My design changes I would make are running a 50a sub panel, now I have a 20a direct bury romex to feed the shed and use a 30 amp rv cord for brewing so its exposed on top of my grass unless I wind it up. Also I would have a Frost-Proof Yard Hydrant feeding pipes that are drainable. Idk if you need the draining or frost proof in nm but I would want to have a water line to my next shed. I'd run a cat6 cable for internet too. I forgot to put one in the trench and now have to suffer with a wifi range extender. You should run a coaxal cable while your at it for tv I just use an antenna but you might want cable out there.

Things I'm glad I did are putting outlets every where. you have to realize that you can only draw so much at one time but it's so nice, i think I put 20 in there. Cathedral ceilings, Its so nice having all that open space. Also adequate lighting, I have 6 100w equivalent led bulbs in the ceiling, 3 led flood lights over kettles, cfl over sink, and a cfl over work bench till I get cabinets with under-lighting. I made my exhausht hood out of pallet wood for the sides and ply wood for the top and have a 6" vortex fan over the bk. The stainless ones are nice but I wouldn't hesitate to build one out of plywood, caulk the joints and paint the inside with hi gloss exterior paint. 2 tvs, I have a tv for my Bills games and a projector for playing some super mario bros when cursing the Bills with our 20 year playoff drought.

Nice job on the shed! I like your use of pallet wood for walls, gives it a cabin-like look. You managed to get a lot of stuff into that 10x18' shed. Smart idea about replacing the 20A branch line with a sub panel. I put a 60A sub in mine when I built it and don't regret it.

Thanks for the post and the tips. I also like the look of the pallet wood. Nice work!

I haven't decided just how extravagant I am going to make this. I know that I will be running electric out to the shed for lights and power to the keezer and fermenter, and stereo. My good friend is an electrician and he and I talked about this a bit and he suggested putting in a 60A sub.

I thought about going bigger and running water out so that I could just have an all-inclusive brew site where I could wash up everything. However, that will take quite a bit more work, and I don't think I am going to be able to make it big enough to support all of that. I was sort of leaning towards no plumbing because of that. We are going to have a stamped concrete path that runs all the way out from the house to the shed, so the wife mentioned possibly making a brew "rig" to transport the required water out for the brew days. I would like to have it all plumbed and fancy, but I know that I won't have the room to. I am thinking that I will be lucky if I can get a 14'X12' space. I might be able to eek out 14'X14'. But, I am going to have to get creative with the layout for storage of things. I have been combing some of those "tiny house" sites for some ideas on that.

I still have to go down and talk some things over with the county to see about easements and other stuff.

Thanks for the ideas. I am looking forward to starting to lay things out on paper this winter.

going to wait for a little better weather to take some pictures....especially being that I don't have my power or lights hooked up yet. If I can still have some light on it when I get home, that would help...

Thanks for the post and the tips. I also like the look of the pallet wood. Nice work!

I haven't decided just how extravagant I am going to make this. I know that I will be running electric out to the shed for lights and power to the keezer and fermenter, and stereo. My good friend is an electrician and he and I talked about this a bit and he suggested putting in a 60A sub.

I thought about going bigger and running water out so that I could just have an all-inclusive brew site where I could wash up everything. However, that will take quite a bit more work, and I don't think I am going to be able to make it big enough to support all of that. I was sort of leaning towards no plumbing because of that. We are going to have a stamped concrete path that runs all the way out from the house to the shed, so the wife mentioned possibly making a brew "rig" to transport the required water out for the brew days. I would like to have it all plumbed and fancy, but I know that I won't have the room to. I am thinking that I will be lucky if I can get a 14'X12' space. I might be able to eek out 14'X14'. But, I am going to have to get creative with the layout for storage of things. I have been combing some of those "tiny house" sites for some ideas on that.

I still have to go down and talk some things over with the county to see about easements and other stuff.

Thanks for the ideas. I am looking forward to starting to lay things out on paper this winter.

Maybe just stub-in the plumbing for now, so you won't have to retrofit later if you decide to run water lines. Or perhaps simply run a hose connector through the wall so you can run water via a garden hose. Then when cold season comes, disconnect the hose and haul your water.

Good plan to check into easements. Don't forget to inquire about max height of the structure--that may or may not be an issue in your locale. It was in my community, and I was limited to 15" above average terrain. My trusses were 4/12 pitch, so I barely kept below that with a 10' ceiling.

Edit: If you are tight on size, try to go with as high a ceiling as possible. If you can pull off a 10' ceiling, that gives you a lot of room for shelves above your head to store things that aren't too heavy.

Toejam, that's a really nice shed, but, and maybe it's the pictures, it seems really dark in there.

Devin, you talked about skipping plumbing water to your shed. It seems it would be a real pain to brew without water. I would at least split a hose bib at your house, and put in some direct bury flex pvc, then a riser at the shed to give you cold water.

If there is one thing I would change about my brewing in the garage, it's not having hot water. I do plan on putting hot and cold with a wash sink in the future, that will make brew day so much more enjoyable. I have a hose bib in garage, so I have cold water to fill up pots and to rinse stuff as I'm using it. But I got tired of filling pots with hot water inside to bring out, so now for cleanup, I just fill boil kettle again and fire up burner.

I also save my counter flow chiller outflow water since it's pretty warm.

Toejam, that's a really nice shed, but, and maybe it's the pictures, it seems really dark in there.

Devin, you talked about skipping plumbing water to your shed. It seems it would be a real pain to brew without water. I would at least split a hose bib at your house, and put in some direct bury flex pvc, then a riser at the shed to give you cold water.

If there is one thing I would change about my brewing in the garage, it's not having hot water. I do plan on putting hot and cold with a wash sink in the future, that will make brew day so much more enjoyable. I have a hose bib in garage, so I have cold water to fill up pots and to rinse stuff as I'm using it. But I got tired of filling pots with hot water inside to bring out, so now for cleanup, I just fill boil kettle again and fire up burner.

I also save my counter flow chiller outflow water since it's pretty warm.

I brew in my attached garage. Since the laundry/utility room is right behind the back garage wall, it was a cinch to set up a hose bib on the back wall. Freezeless, of course, being an unheated garage in Minnesota. I've thought about the hot water and garage sink idea, but when it gets real cold there, I forego the garage brewing and brew 2.5 gal. batches on the kitchen stove.

Another water-related thought...does anyone have a greywater recycling system for water used while brewing? I hate wasting so much. I bucket-brigade some of the effluent water from my IC and pour it on trees and shrubs in the yard. But those plants don't always need water at the time I have it to dump. And the first few buckets of IC effluent are too hot to pour on plants, anyway, so that usually goes down the drain. I'd like to get a plastic drum and collect water in that that to use later.

Sorry, getting a bit OT here. :)

I brew in my attached garage. Since the laundry/utility room is right behind the back garage wall, it was a cinch to set up a hose bib on the back wall. Freezeless, of course, being an unheated garage in Minnesota. I've thought about the hot water and garage sink idea, but when it gets real cold there, I forego the garage brewing and brew 2.5 gal. batches on the kitchen stove.

Another water-related thought...does anyone have a greywater recycling system for water used while brewing? I hate wasting so much. I bucket-brigade some of the effluent water from my IC and pour it on trees and shrubs in the yard. But those plants don't always need water at the time I have it to dump. And the first few buckets of IC effluent are too hot to pour on plants, anyway, so that usually goes down the drain. I'd like to get a plastic drum and collect water in that that to use later.

Not OT at all. I have been thinking about the same thing concerning recycling the water.

I still haven't decided on the water. I would really like to have it. I may just go ahead and run it so I can at least have cold water out there and then figure out a water heater at a later time. It's just the space issue with the water heater.

I plan on having some sort of electrical heat, as well as a small woodstove to take the edge off in the winter time.

Thanks for the all the discussion. I will start posting some of my drawings and ideas as I make them for some more suggestions.

I have a small (not big enough to pull a golf cart in) garage that is my brew space. I do electric BIAB and have it on a rolling tool cart with the Hosehead pi system mounted on it. It does not take up much space. I use a hose pipe with a splitter on the end. When I chill my wort, the warm water goes in a feed trough like this:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tuff-stuff-products-heavy-duty-oval-tank-40-gal for clean up. But I also have a point of use propane wash station http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-GPM-Portable-Tankless-Hot-Water-Heater-RVs-Campers-Propane-Gas-LPG-6L-/291061766160?epid=1673238896&hash=item43c4a21810:g:4t8AAOSw4GVYP700 that I also use.

As for outside fun, we have a fire bowl.

fire bowl.jpg

the first warm water is used for clean up, then the balance goes in the pool:)

I ended up taking over one end of my garage for brewing space, and I can echo many of the suggestions above!

As big as possible. Include space for ingredient storage as well as equipment storage, and plan for a desire to expand your inventory of both.

Plenty of electricity. Wire it like you're doing a kitchen with an outlet every 3-5' around all four walls. The cost while you're building is low, and the convenience is huge later on.]

Some climate control. Including exhaust, or big windows, or both is great. You can also put a cadet heater in one wall so you can brew in the winter.

Plan for water. You don't have to run a water line from the house, but if you install a utility sink with a connection that goes outside, then you can hook up a hose from the yard while you're brewing and just let it drain back outside. Having a proper sink to wash/rinse while you're brewing is awesome. Later you can look at one of the small instant hot water heaters if you end up really liking the brew shed.

Lay out your shed so that you don't have to move liquids if possible. Position the fermentation chamber right next to the boil kettle and right next to the kegerator, for example. That way you can run straight off into the ferm chamber, and then use pressure to transfer right into a keg that's already in the kegerator. No more lifting.

Consider a "wow" feature. You could design through-the-wall taps so that you can serve beer outside on the patio. You could mount a big TV on the wall so you can watch the games. You could set up a digital taplist so your friends can check in on untappd. Something fun to brag about :D

P9300349_stitch.jpg

BeardedBrews - it looks like you attached an image, but I can't see it.

I currently brew in my garage, and I don't mind it. It would just be cool to have a place next to the fire pit to hang out and pull some brews.

Currently working on a 12'x16' Brew/BBQ shed. Waiting on help to get steel liner panels up on the ceiling(2 person job...) then I can do the walls and flooring myself. All steel liner panels on floor and walls, just some cheap ugly vinyl on the floor so I can mop it if I spill. Walls were 2x4 so I furred them out to 2x6 for more insulation, added plastic vapor barrier and now waiting for the steel to go up on the ceiling. Need to build a custom vent hood so it clears the top of the HLT at 6'6"... 8 ' ceiling minus steel panel thickness of ~1" or so.

BeardedBrews - it looks like you attached an image, but I can't see it.

Oops, google photos let me down. Mostly just a confession of the mess a brew day creates and some of things I wish I'd considered.

My hops freezer (out of the frame to the left), kegerator, and fermentation chamber are all on separate walls, which is a pain in the ass every time I brew. I also originally planned to have my kettle tucked into the corner, but I found I needed to have space around it to work/clean. I also didn't put any value on the ability to disconnect stuff from the kettle (triclamps, disconnecting temperature probes, etc) which means the thing is a big pain to clean.

Always things to improve.

Another water-related thought...does anyone have a greywater recycling system for water used while brewing?

It's usually possible to find old poly barrels free or cheap on craigslist. People use them for rain barrels, but you could run off your brewery water into there and save for a (not) rainy day.

Thinking about the workflow when arranging things is important. Kitchen designers concentrate on minimising the "triangle" of fridge, cooker and sink - I know that it was a real PITA in my old kitchen, where the fridge and cooker were at opposite ends of the room.

I currently BIAB, and I don't recirculate during the mash, no external hop torpedos, etc - so my equipment footprint doesn't take up as much as some others. But, I have kicked around the idea of adding things like the recirculation capability. So, I have to keep that in mind as I plan this out.

Nice job on the shed! I like your use of pallet wood for walls, gives it a cabin-like look. You managed to get a lot of stuff into that 10x18' shed. Smart idea about replacing the 20A branch line with a sub panel. I put a 60A sub in mine when I built it and don't regret it.

Thanks the walls and cathedral ceilings are my favorite part of shed. I would of ran more amps to mine but I bought the cable before I started brewing and wanted to do it cheap as possible. I think after winding up my 50' heavy 30amp extension cord for the third time I cursed my self for being so cheap.

Thanks I like it a lot. I used my phone camera to look at the recent solar eclipse and it hasn't been the same since. It's actually really bright in there. My girlfriend was mad because its brighter in there than where she does her makeup.

If you are even considering running water just do it, you won't regret it. I wouldn't bother with hot now just a cold line, it's super easy to install a hot water tank or tank less heater, but sucks to cut concrete slab later. Watering plants, lawn or washing cars you can't beat the convenience. If you don't run pluming I would suggest a rv water hose from a hose bib instead of filling buckets for water. Just rinsing sounds crappy if I have to use a pump compared to pressurized water, let alone blasting some stuck on gunk. I don't know your abilities but if you diy it its well under a grand for material and renting a trencher. Idk how deep your electrical has to be but if your digging a trench for that you mine as well go deeper and run them both in the same hole.

I insulated my walls with r-13. We had a cold spell last winter and it was 10deg outside when I turned the 1500w electric space heater on at 8pm at 8am it was 55 in the shed, I was amazed how warm it was in the morning. I also use a 20000btu propane to kick it up to comfortable tee shirt weather but could make it a sauna if I wanted to. so it you plan on heating I recommend insulation.

I think I will run at least cold water out there for now. We put in a sprinkler system this summer - so I have a drop from the main water supply in the back yard already. It isn't too far from the shed location. Unfortunately, I won't be able to use the same trench for electrical and water - they are on opposite sides of the yard. But, I am going to have to rent a trencher for the electrical anyway, so I might as well just put in the water as well.

I do plan on insulating the unit. I would like to be able to have it be comfortable during cold spells, as well as offer it up as a place for guests to crash if they would like (I might have to put a lock on the taps in that case. :D )

Start by planning a 40 by 100 foot shed. That will give you room to negotiate and when you and the wife get done with the negotiations you may still have a shed big enough to brew in. If your other half allows you the full 40 by 100, you will have room for other toys too.

Back