Brew Dogs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I liked the Portland episode when they asked a couple if it was the ultimate Portland beer. And hippie dude answers I don't really get portland in this.

Its an ok show to gimmicky for me to really appreciate what they do. The seattle episode was cool but more for me with the gastro molecular part. I do highly recommend the American brewing company Caboose oatmeal stout. Great stuff.

I really like the show. I know it's some cheesey stuff, but brewing is the focus.

Only problem that I have had thus far, they chose Strange Brewings Saison as a pairing in the CO episode. I had drank that beer a week prior, and it was horrible. Strange is a completely overrated brewery, that has some major issues with consistency and fermentation. For some reason though, everyone loves to pump them up for being "strange". In their case "strange" aint good.

I've been in a bit of a brewing funk, this show helps get me thinking about new things to brew. I got into all grain to brew things I like, but have gotten into doing more traditional brews. This has at least made me think about new things to try

I absolutely love the show. Clearly, we home brewers are not the target audience. I do not think "that" show would even get on the air on any national network.

Oh I wish - envisioning New Yankee Workshop style brewing show. With a bit more energy. However..I agree with the quote. General public wants to be entertained, not educated.

snorting coffee if I'm not mistaken. nothing I haven't joked about working at a cafe.

I think the disrespect of the declaration may be rooted in the fact that they didn't win their independence.

That's not strictly true as the referendum for independence has not actually happened yet , The vote will be on the 18th Sep 2014 so as of next year Scotland might have it's own Independence Day to celebrate.

all of the beers they brew sound terrible. I'm also suspicious about the fact that they brew a tiny volume of beer (they show a single carboy) and throw a huge party full of tasters?? seems too much like "reality TV" for me. better than a lot of the other worthless **** on..sadly

NervousDad said:
I actually learned something from the last show. I've never had a Berliner weisse and had no idea that you added lacto before the boil.

I enjoyed the Portland episode as well and would love to walk around the woods with the herbalist woman telling me what to try. Definitely don't get her pissed at you though as your life expectancy would take a nose dive!

I've liked the few episodes I've seen, Their antics are allowed in their own land on the Telly, so this is considered "cutting edge" to the "dumb them down"producers of our Videodrone signal projection.
The Food Pairing is cool and showcasing local venues and breweries is awesome publicity if they want it.
I am surprised about all the different ingredients the use in their wacky beer.
The oils perplex me as head retention no-no..
It is the Boob Tube and i have a clicker if i'm offended.

Yep! I don't know how we missed that place when we were there last year!

More info here. It actually seems really fun. I'm drinking most nights anyway, so why not drink with strangers every night!

I do wonder the financials with this. I'd be okay not getting rich with it, but I wouldn't want to lose a ton of money either. I know it's hard to pin down a cost per home brew but I'm thinking most people wouldn't drink more than $10 in beer per visit (assuming they pay the "donation"). But I'm sure you'd get some people that would show up just to drink free beer (heck I know some people that do that now).

I like the show.

The Philadelphia episode was cool because they came up to Pottstown (which is the town next door). Funny to see people you know in an episode, the guy driving the car with the Parade Queen took my daughter to the Prom.

I really enjoy the content of the show. I don't care for the fast pace MTV kiddie style of editing, that just gets to be annoying. They don't really take themselves to seriously which works well for TV. I think they have to brew extreme stuff, I mean who would watch two guys staring at a mash for an hour? Their personalities have grown on me, and I'll continue to watch. I turned it on to a couple of my beer buddies who don't brew, and they think it's awesome.

I'm still wondering how bugs, dirt and sh*t didn't fly into their coolship. When I brew outside there seems to be a lot of dirt in the air.

How the heck didn't they get Willamette water in the beer when cooling it off?!

Other than that, I think the show has good content, but the style is kind of annoying. The guys are funny and aren't too serious about much, but are pretty good on tv. I'll keep watching!

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, I only skimmed the other pages.

I like the show but it bugs me that they don't tell you the ingredients, like exactly what grains and proportions or what hops. It is a show about making beer, after all. It would be like watching a cooking show and not know what ingredients the chef is using.

Sure, a lot of people wouldn't care, but given the target audience audience I bet there are a pretty high percentage of homebrewers who watch the show.

I like the show but it bugs me that they don't tell you the ingredients, like exactly what grains and proportions or what hops. It is a show about making beer, after all. It would be like watching a cooking show and not know what ingredients the chef is using.

Sure, a lot of people wouldn't care, but given the target audience audience I bet there are a pretty high percentage of homebrewers who watch the show.

and if not on the show, at least give the recipe on their website

Should be interesting to see if this gets picked up for another season.

I really want to like this show. There are some good parts about it, but I cannot listen to their awful accents for an hour. It's just painful.

Obviously, the show is mostly geared toward being entertaining (in a sort of cute, nutty way) and isn't meant to provide any serious brewing instruction.

It still beats the snot out of a bunch of toothless yayhoos dragging logs or gators out of a swamp.

Are you planning on making a live lobster beer with oysters and sour mash sometime soon? :)

Still enjoying the show. I wish they would come to Cincinnati, but I know it will never happen. They could make a Skyline Chili beer :)

I liked the one where they used the parabolic mirrors to heat the kettles.

Also the craft beer virgin recruiting has possibilities.

My g/f & I just got back from Boston so we were watching last weeks episode with a little more interest than usual. I liked that they went to Island Creek Oyster House because we fell in love with that place & went there twice in 3 days. Also, the blond waitress on the show was our waitress the first night there & the first waiter pairing the oyster's & wine was our waiter the second night. Neat to see familiar faces....

Back