Brew Dogs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't like the disrespect to the declaration.

My husband was highly offended by the episode as well. I tried to see it from a foreigners POV. When he started to say the pledge to the beer, my husband was furious, but at the same time, can they legally say the pledge? And look at this way, their national animal is the unicorn. (Seriously). And they have made it clear episode after episode that they do coke. At least one joke per episode. Lol. So try to see them as the annoying addict friend that everyone hates, but still hangs around.

they talk about "snow" in one episode, last episode the brewer said he didn't have a powdered wig, so the long haired one said "I powdered my face recently, you can have some of that", in the steam episode they asked if they could steam coke, and this next episode coming up they snort something, idk what yet. We will find out.

had the pleasure of visiting Scotland once. beautiful country and awesome people

and from what I remember, I had a great time. there were more than a few pubs involved, lovely lasses and a vague recollection of trying to enlist in the Royal Marines. so glad they had a sense of humor and didn't break the drunk Yank sailors into little pieces. the lasses, I mean; the Marines didn't think it was very funny

haha! Pottstown!

just finished watching the 3rd episode and have to tell my Pottstown story. which includes the Pottstown Roller Derby Rockstars

SAM_0597.jpg

2 years ago, around this time of year (10/29/11), we went to visit Pennhurst Asylum near Pottstown, PA & some of you east-coasters might remember the snowstorm/blizzard we had that weekend. well, we drove through it on our way there.

by the time we got to the hotel, they had closed the asylum because the power was out in the entire town and nothing was open. we tried to find someplace to eat, but no power, nothing was open. we did notice the police station had power, but that was about it.

except for a bar called The Brick House. apparently it used to be a bank and used as overflow for the jail at the police station, so it was on the same emergency power.

they were having their Halloween costume party and the local roller derby league was having their party there too.

went to Pottstown for nothing and had the greatest time

I lived in Scotland for 20 years, my wife is from Auchtermuchty, and my two sons were born in the Royal Edinburgh Hospital. And I drank a lot of great beer there. So I really want to like this program buuuuut....the 2 hosts are really quite irritating to my wife and me. They just seem so pretentious. I'll blame the American producers.

I was excited to hear there was a show about brewing and craft beer. I set the DVR to record the series, watched 15 minutes of the San Diego show, turned it off and canceled the series recording. A complete fail in my opinion.

Just watched the Seattle episode during lunch. The show is going to stagnate if they don't change up the format a bit. I like the show, in as much as it is a show about beer and brewing beer, but it's going to get old if they don't shake things up a bit. Maybe add different formats... so that every show isn't almost exactly the same - save the city, breweries, pubs, and brew locations.

Other than that, I did enjoy the show. I hope it stays on the air.

Thought it was a fun show. Not too over the top and dramatic like most of the reality shows that plague TV now. As long as they can keep it light, fun and not too intense...I think it'll succeed. I just like hearing about beers, places to drink beer, seeing breweries and seeing people brew.

Kelp, pepper, rosemary beer nearly lost me though. I mean, I like adding things to beer but that one had me Reinheitsgebotting pretty hard. My buddy was telling me they should name the beer, "GO **** YOURSELF SAN DIAGO" Ale.

Looks like the were snorting more stuff in that last episode too. They did brew a much better beer this time, although once again in the most unsanitary way.

Yeah, more cocaine jokes. If they talk to a female, they have to make sex and penis jokes. In fact, even if they aren't talking to a female they make sex jokes. Oh well, I try not to let the juvenile stuff get to me - I still enjoy watching a show about beer brewing. I bet that beer they made tasted pretty good.

Good show, its funny.
I especially like the hand funnel from the Seattle episode. I just felt like I had to clean the carboy, I could not stand it! It reminded me of a few violent blowoffs I have had.
I kept thinking they should cut or punch a hole in the container and toothpaste it into the carboy. This was much more entertaining.

I agree with smccarter... I thought last nights got a little stagnate. I do like hearing about the top pubs and breweries in the area, the brewing process, and de-flowering craft beer virgins.... I could honestly do without them snorting coffee grounds and putting nitrogen on their nipples, but that's just me.... I realize they need to reach a wider audience then just home brewers and beer lovers so I'm not too hung up on that stuff.... The filming is great and it's still entertaining.. I'll keep watching....

I think the scots getting weird is kind of funny. The show has been successful this far in my opinion. Disclaimer: I did not expect to gain brewing knowledge from the show.

I watch it like I watch Top Gear.
It's not going to teach you a whole bunch about cars, or brewing, it's mostly entertainment.

Having said that, both the Brew Dog guys and the Top Gear guys are "fairly" knowledgeable, so you might pick up something for free along the way.

Did anyone else read this in a Scottish accent?

yes, scotty, from star trek.

ive been trying to get my dad to lend me his six gallon crock for some time for open fermentation. i didnt see the episode, but i dont think i would ferment in something that porous.

I thought it was funny when he told the chick who dumped the beer to get off boat

I like it. Not because it's extremely entertaining, or because I'm gaining a world of knowledge, but more for the fact that it's a show about beer. Craft beer at that, and I think that the way that craft beer and homebrewing is already putting itself on the map, a show can only help. Perhaps this inspires others to do shows that are more directed at teaching the general public more about beer and the process of making it...

Let's be honest - if a hockey or football game was on at the same time, kick rocks Brew Dogs. But if there's nothing on (usually there isn't) then I'm all for throwing that on, grabbing a homebrew, and seeing what they have to offer.

It's also cool getting to see some of these breweries and "beer scenes" across America. Brew on, Brew Dogs!

I'm enjoying it. The guys are crazy and the make me laugh.

Funny how they were having issues getting to mash temp until they used the heated rocks, but glossed over maintaining the boil. I guess they could have used the rocks.

For me, the best take away from the show, is learning where the popular local brewpubs and craft breweries that exist around the city are located, and the focus given to the local brewer/brewery involved. I would have liked to try the coffee and chocolate imperial stout they came up with, as well as the the foods prepared for pairing with the local beers in the Seattle episode.

I like it. Not because it's extremely entertaining, or because I'm gaining a world of knowledge, but more for the fact that it's a show about beer. Craft beer at that, and I think that the way that craft beer and homebrewing is already putting itself on the map, a show can only help. Perhaps this inspires others to do shows that are more directed at teaching the general public more about beer and the process of making it...

Let's be honest - if a hockey or football game was on at the same time, kick rocks Brew Dogs. But if there's nothing on (usually there isn't) then I'm all for throwing that on, grabbing a homebrew, and seeing what they have to offer.

It's also cool getting to see some of these breweries and "beer scenes" across America. Brew on, Brew Dogs!

Well said.

I don't think it's a good thing you need to keep your dog stay away from these kind of things because it's better for his health.

it's not about actual dogs

it's a TV show about 2 Scottish brewers traveling the US, visiting and brewing with commercial brewers

they call themselves "Brew Dogs"

unless I'm being pnked here, then :mug::tank:

I absolutely love the show. Clearly, we home brewers are not the target audience. I do not think "that" show would even get on the air on any national network. James and Martin do not take anything seriously including themselves. I also want to know more about open fermentation as you could see that Anchor still ferments that way, albeit no longer on the open roof. Think of this show as marketing for the craft brew industry and particularly BrewDog brewery and you pretty much sum it up, I think.

Watched the Colorado episode where they tried to brew using only the sun as a heat source. In the mash they resorted to blasting rocks with focused sunlight until they got really hot and then they threw the rocks into the mash. This and a lot of effort miraculously got the mash up to temp for the rest. When it came time to boil, they kind of skipped over that part. Given what mashing required, I think a little TV magic took care of the final leg of the brew.

Overall, I love this show! A weekly about brewing wild recipes? TV could do worse.

Love it! I DVR it and watch it every week. My wife and I already have plans to try out some of their "city lists" over weekend trips.

simple formula: it's ONLY for entertainment. Brewing Shows on TV = 1. criticize all you want....but then don't complain about ignorant 35F macro corn/rice lager drinkers. :D

they talk about "snow" in one episode, last episode the brewer said he didn't have a powdered wig, so the long haired one said "I powdered my face recently, you can have some of that", in the steam episode they asked if they could steam coke, and this next episode coming up they snort something, idk what yet. We will find out.

I thought that was pretty funny... Guess that was just me

Looks like the were snorting more stuff in that last episode too. They did brew a much better beer this time, although once again in the most unsanitary way.

snorting coffee if I'm not mistaken. nothing I haven't joked about working at a cafe.

I think the disrespect of the declaration may be rooted in the fact that they didn't win their independence.

laughingboysbrew said:
Haha, same here. Also how their small batch pours so many glasses in the end. It's like brewing with Jesus.

Amen! Just laughed my ass off on your comment.

Love the fact they showcase local breweries, craftpubs, and local brews in the respective cities.

Hope they do Chicago!

The concept might be silly, but I think if they were just brewing normal brews at local breweries, might get repetitive. I guess they have to spice it up a bit for ratings....hey it's faux reality TV, not a documentary.

But cool to learn about different stuff showcased in the show.

The caffeine extract in the Seattle episode resembled cocaine! lol

Are their beers really finished fermenting after 5 days?

I hope im not to nit picky either, I feel like this is like every other show. The SF fog episode they collected 15 gallons of FOG? give me a break especially because they where using 2 better bottles that only hold 6.5 each and they collected 15 gallons?

The thing that gets me is when they taste a beer they say "Ooh that's really hoppy" and that's it about the taste of the beer, I want to know what it tastes like!

Latest posts

Back