Brew Day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbatten22

Reaction score
So I started my first ever brew today.
Everything went pretty well. Had a little bit of movement during the cooling of the wort.

We also had some minor scorching in our brewpot. Is that really bad? Is there anything we can do to clean it off the pan?

Thanks for any info.

If stainless, use either BKF (Bar Keeper's Friend) or PBW to clean. BKF will clean a LOT of things off of stainless. Some things, you need to bring out the big guns for, which is where PBW comes into play.

Congrats! Scorching will happen. I use pbw because I have hard water and that works. You could also use oxyclean free.

Ok,on the back of the PBW jar,it says; kitchen cleaning of carbonized protien,or greasy baked on soils on fryers,grills,baking pans,cookie sheets,plates & silverware- Soak at room temp overnight using 2-4 ounces in 1 gallon of water. Rinse.
Now,to CIP<? brew kettles & lauter tuns,use 1 or 2 ounces per gallon of water(75% solution) for single brew cleaning. For multiple brew cleaning,use 1.5oz per gallon of water (1.1% solution). Run solution for 25-35 minutes at temps between 100 & 160F. Rinse with poteable water at the same temp. I tend to think that last one is for pumping through a RIMS system or the likeI was using .75oz in a gallon of water till I read this. I now use 1oz per gallon & it cleans faster & more completely. After only a couple days,my filthy hop socks look new & white again.

Back