Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingjam

Reaction score
Well after 60 or so post and 2 books cover to cover, I am brewing beer today. I feel that I know what Iam doing but Iam sure Iam going to be on this thread later today freeking out on something I did not see coming. Any way Thanks for the help.

You're going to love it. Just make sure you get everything sanitary, keep your temps right, and dont pitch your yeast too hot and everything else will probably be fine. You are going to be hooked.

:mug:

Nice work on the initial research. Don't forget, this is supposed to be fun and relaxing. Beer is more resilient than you think to minor F ups. Just be clean and sanitary. Good luck. let us know how it went

#1 rule

dont get too drunk until after you're done, but do have a few to relax you. Just take it step by step and you will be fine.

......and never trust boiling wort. It just waits for you to look the other way or leave the room for a few seconds.

OK well i just finished!! The only thing that went wrong was when I put the bubbler on alot of the water went in to the bucket. I just used spring water in the bubbler so hope its ok. I filled it back up.... Also I hope I sanitized well. I think I did.......And one more thing I am not going to brew with out a wort chiller...that was a pain getting it to cool.

Well I just noticed something, Iam about 1/2 an inch under the 5 gal mark on the Ale pale. Is this bad??? What effect will it have if any. Could I add some water when I go to secondary??

I wouldn't worry about being under the 5 gallon mark, as long as you hit your starting gravity more or less. You'll appreciate having less beer that tastes great compared to more that might be watered down.

wort chillers are great but if you cant afford on is fill a couple of 1 gallon zip lock freezer bags with ice and put them in the sink with your water.stir every now and then and within half an hour or so.if your under 70 degrees pitch your yeast.shortens your brewtime so you can either a)drink more or b)start next brew!:ban:

Could I add some water in a week when I go to secondary or should I just leave it alone??? The AHS instructions say to put 5.25 gal. in...???? (Its a Fat Tire Clone) Thanks

kingjam said:
Could I add some water in a week when I go to secondary or should I just leave it alone??? The AHS instructions say to put 5.25 gal. in...???? (Its a Fat Tire Clone) Thanks

Just leave it as is. Topping off is okay to do right when you pour the cooled wort into the primary (when you want things to be oxygenated), but adding more water to the secondary would add a bunch of O2, which you should try to avoid at this point...

GoatFarmersInternational said:
Just leave it as is. Topping off is okay to do right when you pour the cooled wort into the primary (when you want things to be oxygenated), but adding more water to the secondary would add a bunch of O2, which you should try to avoid at this point...
Agreed. Let it go and enjoy the beer you get from slightly less than 5 gallons.
You might think about adjusting your brews in the future so you will get a little more than 5 gallons in the primary. Then you will be closer to 5 gallons when you bottle. :mug:

I made a 5 gallon mark on my 6.5 gallon carboy....I fill 'er up to that (which is 12.5" from the floor) and that gives me my volume

Back