Brew day, birthday (sort of), and my first saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdavisii

Reaction score
Well ive been working my ARSE off lately. Yesterday was my birthday (the big 30) so i got to celebrate today after i got home from work. Im in the middle of brewing a honey orange belgian wit. Also my fam. took me out for dinner. On the way back from dinner i stopped at my local beer heaven (over 1000 brews) and picked up a saison. Ive heard a ton of people speak of the saison but have never had one. I can officially say im not a fan. which makes me a little sad. anyway.................heres what im brewing

5lbs 2 row
2lbs wheat
2.25lbs honey
1oz saaz
1oz northern brewer
zest of one large orange (at end of boil)
wyeast 3944 belgian wit
Single infusion at 154 (fell to 147 after 90 min.)
90 min boil

Please critique the brew, brew geeks as i can always use the help.:ban:

Happy birthday!

Not really a wit from your recipe, but that doesn't really matter. It'll be a little dry and hoppy for the style, and wits usually have added coriander for some extra spice - but some of the character is yeast derived. Wits are generally 50% unmalted wheat as the base. What are the AA% of the hops and when are you adding them?

Also, why didn't you like the Saison?

The saison has a almost sour taste. Great smell but the after taste almost makes me want to not try it again........................almost.

Back