Brew day again. :-)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sematary

Reaction score
Still working on my IPA. The last batch was actually pretty good but still needs some work. Not "hoppy" enough I guess but the aroma was amazing. Could use to be a little more bitter as well which is why I changed the addition time of most of the extract. Previously I had added the extract at the beginning of the boil but I'm looking for a lighter color of the finished beer (the last one was an amber color - the first looked like a stout).
So here goes - 3rd batch:

Ingredients.
1 lb. Chateau Cara Blond
6.6 lbs Brewers Best Extra Light LME - (2 - 3 Lovibond)
2 lbs Briess Pilsen Light DME (2 Lovibond)
1 pt corn syrup
America West Coast Ale yeast
2 oz. Citra hops
2 oz. Cascade hops
1 oz. Amarillo hops

Steep the Chateau Cara Blond until temperature hits 160 degrees and hold there for an additional 20 minutes.
Remove the Chateau Cara Blond and bring to a boil.
Add 1 oz. Citra hops at the beginning of the boil and about half a can of the extra light LME
Allow to boil for 30 minutes and add 1 oz. Cascade hops
15 minutes later add 1 oz. Cascade hops and the DME and LME and the corn syrup
Bring back to a boil and boil for 15 minutes.
Flame out and add 1 oz. Citra hops
1 oz Amarillo hops 5 days into fermentation

I've been really happy with this hop schedule. The 2 previous batches were fragrant but not quite as bitter as I was looking for and darker than I was looking for, hence the late addition of the sugars. They were also darker than I would have liked and the late addition of the sugars should also aid in lightening up the color. The corn syrup is added to make a slightly drier ipa with a higher alcohol content.

Just an update on this. FG came in at 1.010 for an abv of 8.79% Smelled delicious. Can't wait to try it out. Still trying to get this recipe where I want it but the late addition of dme and lme really helped the color lighten up. :)

Back