Brew Contest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombdog

Reaction score
I am doing a brew contest with some other brewers. This is the grain bill we are using for a 5 gal batch:

10 lbs. *2 Row * - *1.8 ˚L

1 lb. *US Special Roast *- * 50.0 ˚L

.5 lb. Bruises Aromatic *- * 35.0 ˚L

.5 lb. Carapils * - *1.3 ˚L

We can't add any more fermentable grains, DME, or extract but anything else goes. I'm looking for suggestions on any adjuncts, yeast, hops, sugars, fruits, wood chips, candies, syrups, etc. Also we can add water or have a longer boil. I have some ideas but just looking to see what kind of ideas come up....Thanks

PS...this ain't cheating. It's called research ...lol

with the special roast and aromatic malt you're going to have a lot of sweet malt aroma and flavor. I'd add some dark candi syrup (~2 lbs) for dark fruit/caramel/chocolate flavors and ferment with wy3787. Bitter to 30-35 IBU. You'll win the contest, easy!

I like the dark candi syrup idea.. Right on. At what point do ya think I should add it to the boil? Hop ideas?

You can add it at any point in the boil, but with 15 minutes left is pretty common. Any bittering hops will wor, but I'd keep any late hops to fairly small additions, like 0.5 oz or less and EKG or styrian goldings would work well.

I like the candy syrup as well. Looks like the makings of a Belgian... Blonde or dubbel maybe? An abbey ale yeast for sure to ferment.

Those Belgians make some darn good ales! Lol

Building on the idea of candi syrup. Think belgian ipa. Amber syrup and generously hopped. I'm thinking generous floral and fruity hop varieties to play along with a nice fruity/spicy belgian yeast. Shoot 1.064 OG, 50-60 IBUs (don't want to overrun them with hop bitterness), 14 SRM, should finish around 1.010 with ABV around 7%.

I'd use WYeast 3787 or even 3522

Back