Brew Bucket FTSs System questions: overkill bling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_gunslinger

Reaction score
A litle birdy (child) told me I might be getting an SS Brewtech Brew Bucket 7 gal FTSs System. Looks kind of cool (no pun intended). But having to get an ice cooler for the cooling fluid and pump make it seem a little more trouble than its worth. Am I wong or for that same price a cheap mini fridge and Inkbird would have the same result - but no watchihg ice cooler? Im not seeing the advantage other than just not having space for mini fridge?

You are correct. It really won't do anything a fridge an Inkbird couldn't (unless you get the FTSs2 which has heating). It advantage is smaller footprint but it comes at the cost of having to change ice in the cooler unless you have a glycol chiller to hook to it.

I have 2 - 7 gal brew buckets both with the FTSS. Having the chiller coil and pump included with the FTSS and temp controller are a nice benefit. That can be done though with a ferm chamber of fridge. I will say that the need to always watch the ice gets annoying. I did have a few issues this brew cycle that involved a cooling line curve up due to the cold water and pumped water out of the cooler all over the floor. That was my fault entirely but still an issue. I go through 2 of the 1 gallon blocks every 12 hours. I did just take advantage of the Black Friday deal and picked up a SSBrew glycol chiller so that I don’t have to worry about a cooler with ice water. In reality normal fermentation won’t chew through ice with a typical cooler.
Overall the FTSS setup is nice and not overly labor intensive but it depends what you want for your brew space.

I have two 7 gallon SS Brewtech conical fermenters with the FTS 2 cooling and heating capability. I did not mind having to change frozen bottles out of cooler 2-3 times a day particularly since I could control two different fermenters at different temperatures at the same time. I eventually upgraded by buying a glycol chiller as well which was made easier by already owning the FTS2 systems. Now, I just set and forget. If you think you may ever upgrade to glycol, I would chose an FTS system over a mini-frig.

Also, I could never have fit two conicals in a mini-frig and if I bought a chest freezer for this purpose, I would not have been able to use the dump valve or transfer the beer to kegs without having to move the fermenters first. With my current set up, once the conical goes on the shelf above the glycol chiller, I never have to move until it is time to clean it.

My SSBT 1/5HP chiller arrived today. Neat little system with a small footprint. I won’t have it up and running until the next batch is chosen though. I was looking at larger units with more cooling power but chose the 1/5 as I only use two 7g brew buckets and may upgrade to 14g system next fall but I don’t do any cold crashing so I only have to maintain temps.

My SSBT 1/5HP chiller arrived today. Neat little system with a small footprint. I won’t have it up and running until the next batch is chosen though. I was looking at larger units with more cooling power but chose the 1/5 as I only use two 7g brew buckets and may upgrade to 14g system next fall but I don’t do any cold crashing so I only have to maintain temps.

You should give a cold crash a try now that you have it. Fantastically easy and efficient.

I have 2 brewbuckets with the full glycol cooling and heaters. Worth every penny for me between the control and a lot smaller footprint versus 2 mini fridges.

If you don’t want to do the ice and don’t want to spend $800 on a glycol chiller, you can make your own pretty easily if you have some basic electrical/sensor understanding.

Just finished building my own with a $40 used AC unit I bought locally. $50 in glycol, some plywood, a cheap cooler, little recirc pump and an inkbird. Probably have $150 in it all said and done.

cooler has 5.5 gallons of 33% glycol

Was able to drop the glycol from 55F to 15F in about 45 minutes.

Just giving you a third option if you have the desire!
C313EEE7-867B-4F03-A63C-4494BE6EFC93.jpeg
2A2E9100-67A0-480C-A814-8A2E7C67D00A.jpeg

I like that. How loud is that thing? I always think of the loud fan noise with a window a/c unit but perhaps having limited venting on the side of that box would help.

Dan

That’s impressive and nearly done. Definitely the more economical way to go about it.

I like that. How loud is that thing? I always think of the loud fan noise with a window a/c unit but perhaps having limited venting on the side of that box would help.

Dan
Not loud at all. Just sounds like a small exhaust fan...easily quieter than my microwave fan. The unit I found was actually one of those floor standing indoor units, so maybe it has more vibration mounts inside than the standard window unit.

Not loud at all. Just sounds like a small exhaust fan...easily quieter than my microwave fan. The unit I found was actually one of those floor standing indoor units, so maybe it has more vibration mounts inside than the standard window unit.
Excellent craftsmanship. Well done, sir! What it may lack in bling, it more than makes up in $$$$ saved. Five and a half gallons water/glycol is a very good capacity size for at least two 7 gallon fermenters.

Excellent craftsmanship. Well done, sir! What it may lack in bling, it more than makes up in $$$$ saved. Five and a half gallons water/glycol is a very good capacity size for at least two 7 gallon fermenters.
Thanks! I’m very happy with how it turned out....something very satisfying about tricking a machine into doing something it wasn’t meant to do.
I have 1 CF-5 right now. I agree it could easily handle 2 except maybe on the hottest summer days.

If you want to go with an even cheaper DIY glycol chiller route, I bought a used dorm fridge off Craigslist that had a freezer “compartment” in the main fridge area. I unscrewed the compartment (where the freezing coils are housed” from the top and bent it enough to have it fit in a plastic tub. Filled the tub with glycol and water at the necessary ratio. Homemade glycol chiller for $25 (not including the glycol!). Essentially copied this build Metzen's Mini Fridge Glycol Chiller Conversion

Back