Brew Bucket by SS Brewing Technologies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That jacket sounds great though the Cool Brewing bags I'm using are working very, very well.

I'm still on my first ferment in these and will keg Friday and have my next recipe ready for the bucket. Wish I could afford a few more.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but on the SS Brewing website it says they will have a longer racking arm available in Mar/Apr.

Hopefully they give us early-adopters a good price on updating to the longer arm. I remove my trub before fermenting, so I lose mostly beer in the 0.5 gallons that stays behind. Wow is that frustrating.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Hopefully they give us early-adopters a good price on updating to the longer arm. I remove my trub before fermenting, so I lose mostly beer in the 0.5 gallons that stays behind. Wow is that frustrating.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I Used my tubing bender and gave it abit of a sharper bend

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hey All,

Great thread on these SS Buckets! Just wanted to make a quick mention that we do have these in stock, and they'll be in both of our warehouses soon enough. They are selling pretty quickly, and I'm not sure when the next shipment is coming in, so wanted to give everyone that is considering one a heads up!

Cheers!

I was gonna order one but though I should finish my fermentation chamber first, at my rate it will be probably a year or so hahaha

Hello Everyone,
I cleaned all the stoppers that go into the lids for my SS Brewbuckets and I have misplaced them. I found one small stopper from a diy bottle filler that will work for my brew today, but does anyone know what size these are? I'll also check with the manufacturer.

Hello Everyone,
I cleaned all the stoppers that go into the lids for my SS Brewbuckets and I have misplaced them. I found one small stopper from a diy bottle filler that will work for my brew today, but does anyone know what size these are? I'll also check with the manufacturer.

They're #1 drilled stoppers.

"Digital temp control system custom for their fermenters with both heating and cooling for around $200 bucks (plus / minus) retail launching this Summer."

Do you have a link about this info?

--------------------------------------------

One very minor PITA with these brew buckets is to get the stainless steel muck off the inside, take a wet paper towel and scrub a small surface several times hard and you will get steel sediment. So To save you time i have tried it all, from all sanitizers to denatured alcohol, paint thinners, laquer thinner, acetone..etc... Then finally tried Naptha (do it outside)! Then only a couple swipes to get it removed.

Another thing I did was add a thermometer about 3" above the drain spout. Drilled a 1/2" hole with a titanium step drill and installed a blichmann thermometer. Carboy heater on them at 67 and all is going good.

Not sure what to do with the carboys.

And purchased... :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Wow, that was fast! Ordered the racking arm Thursday evening and got it this morning. From CA to VA...

I have a beer in the fermenter, so I can't compare the two, but to my eyeball, it looks like it will gain about an inch further down than the current arm.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Does anyone know of a vendor who has the brew bucket with the longer racking arm?

You can just order it straight from SS brew tech's site. I did over the weekend. It's not a different model of bucket, just an accessory that you buy seperately.

Does anyone know of a vendor who has the brew bucket with the longer racking arm?

I don't think anyone is, and it's because it's not a configurable option. In other words, the brew bucket comes with the standard racking arm, and that's it. The longer one is an optional extra item you can order direct, but it never is an option when ordering the bucket.

Thanks for the info everyone. Went ahead and purchased the brew bucket and racking arm separate. :ban:

Ordered mine Friday night arrived today! Quick usps!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395116619.468092.jpg

Looks great! Can't wait to use on my next batch!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Home Brew mobile app

Considering getting one and adding a dump valve. Although the cone is 40-45 degrees compared with 60 with most conicals, I'm curious how well it will collect yeast to the bottom of the cone.

How well is the yeast gathering for you? Has anyone added a dump valve yet?

It would probably be cheaper to just buy their conical. The legs are too short for a valve at the bottom and tri clamp valves and fittings are not cheap...

I may have to buy a couple of these so it leaves less behind when secondary fermenting.

Also, I just noticed the price increase to $225. Not such a great deal anymore.

"Digital temp control system custom for their fermenters with both heating and cooling for around $200 bucks (plus / minus) retail launching this Summer."

Do you have a link about this info?

--------------------------------------------

One very minor PITA with these brew buckets is to get the stainless steel muck off the inside, take a wet paper towel and scrub a small surface several times hard and you will get steel sediment. So To save you time i have tried it all, from all sanitizers to denatured alcohol, paint thinners, laquer thinner, acetone..etc... Then finally tried Naptha (do it outside)! Then only a couple swipes to get it removed.

Another thing I did was add a thermometer about 3" above the drain spout. Drilled a 1/2" hole with a titanium step drill and installed a blichmann thermometer. Carboy heater on them at 67 and all is going good.

Not sure what to do with the carboys.

Naptha? I'm no chemist but that doesn't sound like a good idea. The SS residue is likely to be less harmful and more inert than a chemical like Naptha. I have talked to the SSBrewtech guys and they recommend a good clean with soap to remove any manufacturing oil which is probably what you are seeing.

Maybe it's just me but Solvents and petroleum based chemicals sound like a really bad idea in a fermenter.

I'll be using mine hopefully soon and like all the other stainless I have used it will get a hand wash, PBW rinse, then starsan and an air dry. Should be plenty to clean, sanitize, and passivate.

Clean those buckets gents! This picture is after a scrub in hot soapy water. I then used a paper towel with a little goo gone and the result is this:

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395286430.789963.jpg

I can say that it looked clean and didn't feel greasy but the towel doesn't lie.

So for those of us thinking about getting one (or more) of these, at the new price point... we have to worry about the debate between leaving whatever that gunk is in the pot, or using chemicals that I wouldn't really want around my food to clean it?

Neither of these sound like solid options... Is this just a bad batch, or a drop in QC, or have they always been like this and folks just never noticed before?

Clean those buckets gents! This picture is after a scrub in hot soapy water. I then used a paper towel with a little goo gone and the result is this:

I can say that it looked clean and didn't feel greasy but the towel doesn't lie.

What's the verdict, did it eventually get clean or is it still a work in progress?

It's clean. Took about two hours and I found simple green was good for the task. Process was to spray down and let soak a little. Wipe/scrub with paper towel and then wash down with soapy water. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Check a small area with goo gone and sure enough it shows no more black smudge. After all that. I gave it a full soak in oxiclean. Rinsed and it's fine. One time process. Importantly, Still happy with the purchase and looking forward to brewing this weekend.

But I have no idea what that stuff was or what it might do and it's not obvious it's there to begin with. So I thought I'd throw that picture out there as I would have thought the bucket was otherwise clean.

Mine were fairly early units I think, but all I had to do was soak them in PBW for a while and rinse them out.

I've fermented in them both and have gotten the cleanest tasting beers I've ever made out of them.

It's either running compound or machining fluid. I'd use naphtha or acetone, then clean with PBW (simple green would also work well. For those worried about chemicals in it, you're being naive if you think that thing hasn't seen any chemicals before it got in your hands. That's the beauty of stainless, it's easily cleanable and doesn't absorb flavors.

So just finishing my 5th beer with bucket. The two things I'm really loving with this product

Super easy to rack beers into my kegs

Crazy easy to clean.

This product is perfect for big dry hops and other secondary additions. The cone bottom allows all the extra material to nicely drop to the bottom so I don't loose any beer

I kegged my first batch last night from by Brew Bucket. It went better than I was expecting. My gasket was stained in the spot that it blew out the side during fermentation (even tough I had a blowoff tube attached).

I'm still trying to understand why it didn't blowoff through the tube (which wasn't clogged).

The "gunk" you guys are removing, is it the tooling oil? A wash with a good dishes detergent should remove the tooling oil easily. From the pictures it looks to me like you guys may be removing the passivated oxide layer.

The oxide layer doesn't wipe of with a simple cleaner. Perhaps on an aluminum pot but not stainless.

Back