Brett starter?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

footedowl20

Reaction score
Any recommendations on this for a 5 gallon batch? Was reading a step starter is probably necessary with white labs...

White Labs manufactures all of our Yeast Bay cultures as well and they do not concentrate their Brett unfortunately, so for primary a starter is needed. Not a huge deal ultimately, I always recommend a starter for Brett beers anyway as pitching a starter at peak activity DRASTICALLY cuts down on lag time and overall fermentation time.

For a Brett starter, simply make the same starter you would for Sacch, but you'll need to let it ride 72-96 hours more than likely to get it to peak activity, running it around 75-78 F will also help get them active faster.

Good luck! Fell free to reach out directly to me at [email protected] if you have other questions, I tend to get to emails pretty fast. Always happy to provide info to support the use of White Labs and Yeast Bay cultures!

Back