Brett Secondary kicking off new fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burninator

Reaction score
Looking for some reassurance. I've always just co-pitched my bugs, brett, whatever into primary for sours and wild ales I've made. First time I've experimented with secondary. A week ago I bottled a gallon and a half of experimental saison, using a wild yeast isolate from a local brewery. I racked another gallon of it into a jug and tossed in a culture I built up from Orval dregs. On bottling day, the beer was at SG 1.004.

A week later it's bubbling pretty constantly. Maybe this is completely normal for a fermentation schedule like this, but can anybody reassure me?

Thanks.

maenads1.jpg

maenads2.jpg

meanads3.jpg

Yep, that's normal. It'll probably knock a few more gravity points off, which would cause the bubbling. But even without a gravity drop, you'll get some Brett character. Sounds great!

Awesome, thanks. That's exactly what I needed to know. I assumed it'd ferment some. Just didn't expect a layer of bubbles a week later.

I'm looking forward to it. If this works out, I'll scale it up to a full batch.

What you think? 2 months in secondary, then another couple of months to bottle condition?

I'd bottle as soon as it hits terminal gravity. Then let it bottle condition as long as you can take it. But that's just me!

That second part is going to be the challenge, I think. I should probably just go ahead and get the next batch started, right?

Back