Brett Saison - when to pitch Brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdaigle

Reaction score
Hi All,

Did a Saison over the weekend, its highly fermenting right now with WLP590 and when should I pitch in the brett? I have All the Brett from Omega, should I use another brett or is this one OK? first time using brett.

Cheers,

I am planning on a doing something similar this weekend and have been researching this topic a bit. I would say it depends on what you want? If you pitch the Brett after primary, it should produce more of the "barnyard" phenols, whereas pitching earlier I think gives off more of the "fruity" flavors. Given that the blend you have has so many different strains, I would vote for letting primary finish, then adding the brett and letting it go for a while to get some funk (which Im partial to).

For the record, my "Brett Saison" is going to be a 10gal batch, 5gal is getting WY3711 + Brett B co-pitched. The other 5gal is getting WY3711 in primary (with 2 gallons of the 5 being kettle soured x 2 days, then added back to primary when finished souring) and then Brett B in secondary. I know the kettle souring throws a little bit of a wrench in the comparison between the two, but Im hoping that there will be enough of a difference between the co-pitch and the secondary with brett to learn the differences in timing of the brett addition.

The timing of when you pitch your Brett really depends on the strain and the taste you are looking for. Some Brett strains are more potent and or offer very distinctive flavor, these you may want to only add them when most of the work is already done by the Sacc.

I have no experience with the All Brett omega, but from they give on their website I would add them in secondary. Based on my experience with other Brett, you should get a hint of flavor after a month, but expect at least 3-6 months to get the real deal.

Back