Brett Re-Fermentation as a Mean to Salvage a Ready Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protos

Die Schwarzbier Polizei
Reaction score
I long wanted to try Simpsons Golden Naked Oats, having heard nice things about it. So I bought some GNO and tried it at 15% of grist in a 5 ABV British Golden Ale. The beer came out fine except that I strongly hated the peanuty taste of Golden Naked Oats as soon as I learned the flavour from my brew. I can't make myself to dump the batch (as the beer is perfectly fine otherwise), so I'm thinking about the ways to salvage it. One of my ideas is to re-ferment the already bottle-carbonated beer with a Brett strain by putting it into a secondary. I expect it will change the flavour profile significantly and the hated GNO twang will dissipate during the lengthy secondary fermentation.

Though logical, the idea seems to me so wild I felt the need to consult the collective wisdom: what do you think, is Brett refermentation a legit way to salvage a not-so-perfect ready beer?

Though logical, the idea seems to me so wild I felt the need to consult the collective wisdom: what do you think, is Brett refermentation a legit way to salvage a not-so-perfect ready beer?

No, it isn't.
"Logical" options:
-Dump it
-Brew a strong flavored high ABV barleywine or something similar and "blend in the glass" with your golden ale, basically obscuring the flavor you don't like with something that has a taste that will cover it up.
-Other blends you could try: Cider, hoppy imperial stout or a large amount of light lager
-Blend with some Citra/Amarillo IPA with the goal of making a session golden naked oat IPA
http://scottjanish.com/citra-amarillo-golden-naked-session-ipa/-Use the beer for cooking
-

Well, that's sound. Oxidation gonna ruin the beer worse than GNO. I think I will age the beer and look what it becomes like after say 4 or 6 months. This batch was about learning the flavour anyway. If it still tastes like peanut I will blend it with my 12 ABV Golden Label clone which is about to ripen exactly at that time.
Thank you all.

Latest posts

Back