Brett Contamination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
Never used Brett in a homebrew before, but I am curious if I need to get dedicated equipment for it. I want to do an IPA, ferment it normally with Us-05, rack it on top of pineapple and then pitch some WLP 645 claussenni. Will it contaminate my auto siphon/PET fermonster/ and kegging lines or will I be okay as long as I clean them really good? I know plastic is cheap to replace but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

Thanks.

Many people will tell you yes, you should maintain two separate sets of equipment.
That said, I have done a couple lacto batches and a couple brett batches and so far no infections. So... you and I should *probably* get a second set for our wild batches, but it's not 100% necessary, as long as you understand and are ok with the risk.

Many people will tell you yes, you should maintain two separate sets of equipment.
That said, I have done a couple lacto batches and a couple brett batches and so far no infections. So... you and I should *probably* get a second set for our wild batches, but it's not 100% necessary, as long as you understand and are ok with the risk.

Thanks for the input! I suppose I could at least get a second auto siphon just to be safe! Glad you haven't had any issues though.

I go through rounds of brett/lacto batches and clean sacch batches. After a round of brett/lacto I'll do a bleach soak on all my plastic and rubber before using it on clean batches.

I'm not sure if this is the best approach but it has worked so far

After my brett/lacto batches, I just do a thorough PBW soak, then a thorough Star San soak and then I'm good to go. (Living in a cold-weather climate probably helps me on these points. I have a hard enough getting brett and lacto to propagate when I want them to, let alone when I don't.)

Latest posts

Back