Brett contamination in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgranger

Small Wave Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I plan to use a few kegs as transportation vessels to bring beer from my brewhouse to my cellar where my oak barrel is. The beer already will have Brett in it before the barrel. I was going to immediately clean the kegs used for transportation after filling the barrel. Will I need to take the same extreme measures of cleaning and sanitization one would typically do for cleaning kegs used to age sour beers, or is the short contact time (probably no more than 30 minutes total before cleaning again) allowing me to follow normal PBW cleaning procedures for non sour beers? I am mostly concerned with the kegs o-rings, beer and gas line connects and tubing, and other plastic parts. I'd just rather not dedicate 3 kegs, all the connects and tubing to sour beer only.

If there is Brett in there it is already contaminated the same. You will have to do a deep clean on it if you want to have it available for a clean beer. I would switch out the O Rings, and just save them to use when you want to use Brett again.

I've used kegs that had Brett in them for clean beers. Just take extra precaution in the cleaning. I use boiling water in the clean up process as well.

Latest posts

Back