Brett C (WLP645) as Primary Yeast (Problems?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
Following the advice of knowledgeable HBT members, I made a 1.040 starter on stir plate with a tiny dimple instead of a vortex as to limit O2 exposure which can influence a vinegar ester. On the plate for one full week, the starter had a very nice almost fruit like aroma along with the typical yeasty smells we know should be there.

The wort was 1.055 and I pitched the 1L starter when temp was at 75F. White Labs calls for this yeast to be at 85F, but I set my fermenter belt for 80F anticipating active fermentation to drive the temps up slightly which it did....82.5F is what I am currently reading.

From what I have heard, using this yeast in primary can take up to 3 weeks, possibly 4 to fully attenuate. BUT, today is less than 48 hours in and my BO tube is constantly off gassing. Not a bubble....more like a continual burst. Humm. I have gone from 1.055 down to 1.025 in less than 48 hours.

I was VERY careful as always to clean my gear with overnight PBW soaks followed by extended Star San soaks on brew day. I was careful the entire process, but I feel this yeast is behaving like sacch.

Since I am a first time Brett C in primary user, is this normal behavior? I know Brett is slow in secondary following sacch due to limited sugars left behind. So with a full sugar load to munch on...is this yeast going as expected?

Honestly, I don't think you are having a problem. Since you made a beautiful starter, you are experiencing the result of doing a good job on that phase of the brew. I'll bet you will be done in less than 10 days. How are you sampling your SG? I hope you are not taking your fermenter lid on and off continually since Brett may be more O2 sensitive than you may be accustomed to.

Good point. I have a Tilt hydrometer (love it) so my fermenter stays sealed for the duration.

That's not a surprise to me. It's behaves just like a sac yeast in primary.

Glad you mentioned this. Until I did some searching, I thought the Brett may have gotten contaminated with Sacch in some way or another. Seems unlikely at this point as all indicates normal behavior.

Brett is tough stuff. It's evolved against all odds as Brewers have spent the last 100 years trying to kill it.

Just wait till you get those awesome fruit flavors on your nose. Probably get some out of the airlock today!

Hellsyeah is correct about air contact going forward. Keep it covered under a co2 blanket. Brett makes acetic acid from oxidized byproducts in beer. You'll get a little normally but too much will taste like vinegar

Brett is tough stuff. It's evolved against all odds as Brewers have spent the last 100 years trying to kill it.

Just wait till you get those awesome fruit flavors on your nose. Probably get some out of the airlock today!

Hellsyeah is correct about air contact going forward. Keep it covered under a co2 blanket. Brett makes acetic acid from oxidized byproducts in beer. You'll get a little normally but too much will taste like vinegar

I knew about the O2 exposure could be a potential issue with the starter so I kept the bar moving so slowly it barely formed a dimple. I plan to keep the exposure to a minimum for sure.

I just tapped the keg on my 100% Brett-C pale ale and it tastes great. I fermented at 85'F for 4 weeks. It went from 1.050 to 1.004.

When making the starter I used my stir plate for the first day, then let it sit off the stir plate for a week. I then built up the starter and let it sit for another week so I'd have enough to pitch 1L. Fermentation started up within a few hours after pitching into my wort.

Back