Brett Brux help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewByBerg

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I brewed a Belgian saison with the white labs Belgian saison yeast blend, I let it drop to about 1.008 and transferred to secondary and added a vial of Brett brux. It's been about a week since I pitched it and I am seeing no visible signs of anything.

How long should I expect to see signs of fermentation? Any advice would be great! Thanks

Update, just take a tiny little taste sample, i def pick up a little bit of the Brett for sure. Very minimal but I can tell it's working.

Pitching into secondary you might not see any "fermentation" as it will be doing "metabolism". i.e. chemical/metabolic transformations on existing compounds.

You may or may not see a pellicle. Give it a couple weeks.

Relax. You've got a long road ahead of you. Nothing will be noticeable in a week. Brett, especially in secondary of a dry beer will likely take a long time. As mentioned above a pellicle may or may not show up. Refrain from tasting for at least 6 months.

Refrain from tasting for at least 6 months.

it's just brett, you don;t need to wait 6+ months. it will continue to change for a long period, esp once its under pressure, but by 3 months you'll have plenty of character and generally a stable enough FG to package

it's just brett, you don;t need to wait 6+ months. it will continue to change for a long period, esp once its under pressure, but by 3 months you'll have plenty of character and generally a stable enough FG to package

As of right now it has that layer of moldy looking stuff at the top (pellicle?) so Let's say I decide to package it in a couple months, should I not use a filter bag on the end of my siphon so I can let some Brett get into the bottle bucket? Or should I try and minimize it as best as I can so when I add the sugar it won't create bottle bombs?

It won't matter if you filter with a bag or not, yeast isn't fruit or hops, it's microscopic and in suspension. Your insurance against bottle bombs is a stable gravity, which is measurable and with Brett usually attainable in 2-4 mos. if it's stable it will carb normally according to the standard model, though sometimes a bit slower, esp. if bottles are at cellar temp.

It won't matter if you filter with a bag or not, yeast isn't fruit or hops, it's microscopic and in suspension. Your insurance against bottle bombs is a stable gravity, which is measurable and with Brett usually attainable in 2-4 mos. if it's stable it will carb normally according to the standard model, though sometimes a bit slower, esp. if bottles are at cellar temp.

So you're saying I will not need to add sugar to my bottles?

So you're saying I will not need to add sugar to my bottles?

That's not what he meant. You will add priming sugar as normal for bottling. What he is saying, is that generally within 2-4 months you will have a stable FG (2 readings a week apart) and then you can safely bottle.

That's not what he meant. You will add priming sugar as normal for bottling. What he is saying, is that generally within 2-4 months you will have a stable FG (2 readings a week apart) and then you can safely bottle.

Yes, sorry, use the normal amount of sugar and if it's done fermenting it will carb normally.

Back