Brett aroma fantastic. Taste is uh...running behind?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brif

Reaction score
Had pitched a mixed culture of a Brett Blend + Lacto Blend into a 10.32ish starter wort.
(there was some sacch in there too)
Let that run for 4 months, but never fed it anything new. 1.032 dropped to 1.003.
Opened to feed it some fresh starter wort, and the aroma was amazing. Fantastic funk + fruitiness that was really really nice.
Gave it a taste, and it was nasty.

When you get these great aromatics from a brett culture, does the taste usually follow suit and just lag behind? In your experiences, do the great aromatics increase the chances of the taste coming along eventually in another several months?

Cheers

If everything went right, I'd expect good Brett cultures to be tasting nice at 4 months.

Can you describe how it tastes?

There's plenty that could go wrong in 4 months, especially if mistakes are made. If you can identify why it's not good, perhaps that'll indicate whether it'll get better over time.

What kind of fermenter was it in and how was it sealed?
Was the airlock full and maintaining positive pressure?

I had pulled this mix culture of TYB Beersel & Lacto Blend off of another aging carboy (Belgian Pale w/ wlp550). Pitched it into a 1/2 gal jug with ~1L of 1.030ish starter wort. In an attempt to try to subdue the lacto in this culture, I hopped the starter to ~40 ibu. It kicked up a little krausen for a week, then settled, and developed a thin pellicle. Had dropped to 1.003 when tasted. Airlock full and positive pressure.

I was a bit rushed, so I didn't really contemplate the tasting, but it wasn't crazy hoppy or terribly bitter. In hindsight I should have gotten a better grip on the flavor characteristics

Back