Brett and Lacto secondary issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

localhost

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently brewed a Saison that i was planning on splitting up and doing secondaries with Brett, Lacto, and Brett+Lacto. Unfortunately, i didn't plan very well and ended up with the wrong stoppers for my small secondaries, so i had to postpone transferring to secondary for about 2 weeks. Due to this, the beer attenuated a little more than i had planned.

I pitched the secondaries all on the same day, and after over a week there is zero activity in any of them. At this point i'm assuming there aren't enough fermentables left, so they're just going to sit there and do next to nothing.

Do you think that it would be an option to add sugar to the secondaries to give them more food? This is my first time using Brett/Lacto so i was hoping to get a decent comparison of the same base beer with different finishing yeasts.

Thanks

Speaking from very limited experience here (my first experience with Brett is in secondary now), but I fully fermented out my tripel all the way down to 1.013, and then put some Brett B in the secondary. It took a couple weeks of nothing, but there's now a good pellicle on top. I'm assuming your saison was a bit lower than that, so I can't say for sure, but I'd think you're probably fine. Perhaps someone a bit more familiar with sours can chime in with something more useful ;)

Back