breeding yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosper123

Reaction score
Hello folks,

First off, my apologies if this has been asked before. I searched for an answer and after a long search could not locate the answer.

I was wondering if there was a way to breed yeast efficiently at home. I have seen videos concerning washing yeast and saving for another batch, but is this the same yeast or does it culture and multiply when fermenting occurs?

Could I, for example, make a wort primer so that I could turn one batch worth of yeast into two, three, etc.?

How many generations could I possibly get out of one purchase of yeast? Also, how long could I expect yeast to keep "good" when stored? Can I freeze it?

If you would consider yourself a " book nerd" I think I remember reading that " yeast: a practical guide to fermentation" has this info in it. I do not own the book, but I heard it covers everything.

Yes you can do all that. Run a search to get more information.

Starters basically multiply yeast with low gravity worts (that's good for the yeast).

You can store in fridge for up to a year if done right.

You can freeze it too using glycerin. probably up to 2 years.

You need to get a few yeasts you like and figure out a rotation. I'm looking to get about 20 batches from a single vial of yeast. Might go more. I take the fresh yeast, make a starter, and freeze 5 test tubes of it; each is good for about 4 batches.

Latest posts

Back