Breckenridge / Sweetwater O'Tay help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surffisher2a

Reaction score
Posted this in the recipe forum, but didn't get any responses, but anyways; I have a good friend who recently visited the Denver area and had O'Tay. She said it was the best beer she has ever had and is begging me to try and brew it. Having never tasted this beer myself, i am having quite a hard time to try and figure it out. I am looking for advice on how to make an all grain clone.

They call it a RedWheat Wine Ale that is made with red wheat / buckwheat and mosaic hops and dry hopped. Its described on review sites as the color of a light to medium porter, full bodied, fruity notes or raisins with tofee / chocolate undertones. It lists at 7% ABV. SRM seems to be about 26. I have no idea what that IBU's of the beer is supposed to be.

What I have worked out so far in my head (and some help from the local homebrew store) is:

70% red wheat Malt
10% 2 Row Malt
10% Crystal 20
10% Special B Malt
Lots of Rice Hulls in mash (1.5 lb for 5 gallon batch size)

Mash @ 152F

Use Mosaic hops to bitter (60 min) Flavor (10 min) and Aroma (0 min and dry hop) to get about 25 to 30 IBU's

Ferment with WLP051 California V Yeast OR Maybe one of the Belgian yeasts like WLP575

Any thoughts or idea?

Back