Breakfast Milk Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poetaytoe

Reaction score
Just finished drafting this and looking for any critiques on it. The goal is Left Hand Milk Stout meets Founders Breakfast Stout with a little extra chocolate flavor.

3# Light Dry Malt 35%
2# 2-row 23%
22oz Flacked Oats 16%
12oz Roasted Barley 8%
10oz Crystal 120 7%
10oz Chocolate 7%

.5oz Magnum 60 mins
1oz Golding 10 mins
1# Lactose 10 mins
16oz cold brewed coffee 10 mins

Safale S-04

16 oz Cocoa Nibs - secondary for 2 weeks

My main critique is the measuring of the coffee. Generally this is done with the dry weight of the coffee beans, not the volume of the brewed coffee. Otherwise it looks awesome!

Edit: I would also pay attention to the type of coffee used. Thinks like french roast can be a bit too harsh, even mellowed out with the lactose. I highly suggest Sumatran or maybe Kona coffee. This has been pretty well vetted by the FBS clone recipe research out there

For the coffee, I was going to use 50g of my favorite breakfast blend (a medium roast that's very smooth). I'll see if my local roaster has any Sumatran or Kona and my go with that if they do.

That sounds very nice indeed. It'll be plenty mellow anyways with 50g. For big coffee flavor I've done about 55g in primary and another 55g at bottling, so only 50 will be mellow and nice

Latest posts

Back