Breaker sizing for keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masonsjax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I plan to run a dedicated circuit/outlet from my breaker box to power my small keezer (~5cu ft). I currently (pun) have it sitting in the middle of the room, because the compressor didn't seem to like the 16ga extension cord I was using. I'll be running 12ga wire for the new outlet, but I'm not sure what size breaker I need. Any electricians out there that can help? Thanks.

With #12 wire you can install a 20 amp CB and 20 amp receptacle. Just looked at the GE 5.0cft specs and you can use a 15amp CB and 15receptacle with the #12 wire, if that is easier cheaper for you.

A keezer really doesn't require all that much power for a dedicated circuit.

I have a 14.8 cu ft freezer, and with the compressor running it uses about 200 watts.

Your freezer will tell you it's Current draw. That will tell you but yeah, mine is just on an outlet downstairs with one circuit running it, a mini fridge, and lighting.

The keezer has nothing to do with the breaker size...it's the wire that he's running between the main panel and the sub panel that's important.

If you run the 12-2 w ground...use a 20 amp breaker

If you run 14-2 w ground...use a 15 amp breaker

Most homes use 12-2 now. My old junker has a bunch of 15 amp circuits in it... I think they invented 15 amp circuits way back before computers and entertainment centers. Heck...I wonder if they even used electric vacuum cleaners... uggg.

I owuld run the 12-2 w/ ground with a 20 amp breaker. I agree that there is no need for a dedicated circuit for the keezer, but it may be easier to install that way. Although, you may want to install a couple more outlets on the same circuit for future use, since your already tapping into the panel.

As long as you have more then one recptacle on the circuit you can install 15 amp receptacles on a 12awg 20 amp circuit.

Latest posts

Back