Bready Suggestions - Liquid Vollkornbrot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Docod44

Reaction score
Hi all,

I want to brew a liquid version of some dark German bread à la vollkornbrot or schwarzbrot. I know kvas would probably satisfy this craving, but which beer style would be the closest? I was thinking either dunkles bock or Munich dunkel. Thank you!

Nice idea! To me, schwarzbrot tastes much darker than a dunkel or dunkles bock, though. Maybe a nice thick porter? There are a few German porters out there (Weyermann has a recipe on their website). Maybe some rye malt? Molasses?

Nice idea! To me, schwarzbrot tastes much darker than a dunkel or dunkles bock, though. Maybe a nice thick porter? There are a few German porters out there (Weyermann has a recipe on their website). Maybe some rye malt? Molasses?
I like those thoughts, I hadn't considered a porter but with the addition of rye malt I could imagine the resemblance to a nice dark rye bread. Thank you.

Edit: google brought me to your post from last year, did you ever brew this?

Schwarzbrot tastes grainy. Molasses and other ingredients that make the bread darker are actually forbidden here in Germany as they would imitate a healthier bread without using the real ingredients. Sometimes we joke and call some dark beers flüssiges Brot (liquid bread) but if you pay attention, the taste of the beer does not really match the taste of the bread.

I would go with something dark, higher fg, abv around 6-7% and then not too much hops, only bittering additions and noble hops only or neutral hops like Magnum. No chocolate malt but instead something without much roast, like dehusked roast barley or even better, midnight wheat at about 5% of the grist. A clean lager yeast would probably be best. Not much speciality malts necessary.

Molasses and other ingredients that make the bread darker are actually forbidden here in Germany as they would imitate a healthier bread without using the real ingredients.

I had never heard that before, so I tried looking it up. This article doesn't mention molasses specifically, but it does mention caramel syrup, malt extract, roasted malt, and light treacle. Can you share a link that says it's verboten?

No sorry, i only know it from friends who are working in bakeries.

It might actually be, that, if you use 100% whole grain, you are allowed to darken it. But only then.

Last edited:
Back