Bread yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. You can boil bread yeast to kill it, then add it as nutrient, or add it in the last few minutes of the boil for mead, beer, etc.

Yes. You can boil bread yeast to kill it, then add it as nutrient, or add it in the last few minutes of the boil for mead, beer, etc.

Help me here...I boiled 0,5 L of water end then added 11g of bread yeast
Then I turned on the gas burner again and stirred.
It is cold and waiting that my mead yeast arrives.

Did I do it right?

That nutrient will be good food for the ambient yeast, aka wild yeast, while waiting on the mead yeast. Don't prepare it ahead of time. When you boil your honey when making mead, add the bread yeast into the last 10 minutes of that. It not only kills the bread yeast, but also distributes it throughout the mead.

That nutrient will be good food for the ambient yeast, aka wild yeast, while waiting on the mead yeast. Don't prepare it ahead of time. When you boil your honey when making mead, add the bread yeast into the last 10 minutes of that. It not only kills the bread yeast, but also distributes it throughout the mead.

I haven't done the "mead" yet.
I was waiting for the mead yeast.
So...I feel you have a recipe in your mind ahah. I will ues 1 Kg of honey...can you help me with the recipe?

There is a mead section in the Recipes area of this forum that has some great recipes. Take a look at that. I'm not the greatest mead expert. Some of the people that post those recipes know far more about mead than I do, and you may also see other words of wisdom that will help you.

There is a mead section in the Recipes area of this forum that has some great recipes. Take a look at that. I'm not the greatest mead expert. Some of the people that post those recipes know far more about mead than I do, and you may also see other words of wisdom that will help you.

Oh ok.
Thanks!

I wouldn't boil the honey. There's no reason to do so, it destroys flavor compounds.

Boiling the bread yeast directly before pitching would be best, that's true.
So...boil again the water with dead bread yeast and join to the honey with water? I was thinking about temperature of the water...should I warm the water befor ading to the honey?

So...boil again the water with dead bread yeast and join to the honey with water? I was thinking about temperature of the water...should I warm the water befor ading to the honey?
The honey dissolves easier in warm water, yes. But be sure that it is cold again before pitching the yeast.

And yes, boil the bread yeast again. Or boil a new batch of bread yeast.

Last edited:
Never heat your honey (or the must) above 100-110F for mead. Ever. Going above 110F means you're blowing off flavor components present in the honey. Making a lesser product as a result (unless going for a bochet).

Be sure to factor the liquid amount you boiled/killed the bread yeast in when formulating the must. Personally, I just use actual yeast nutrient when making mead. Easier to work with and has additional nutrients that the yeast will need/want.

Never heat your honey (or the must) above 100-110F for mead. Ever. Going above 110F means you're blowing off flavor components present in the honey. Making a lesser product as a result (unless going for a bochet).

Be sure to factor the liquid amount you boiled/killed the bread yeast in when formulating the must. Personally, I just use actual yeast nutrient when making mead. Easier to work with and has additional nutrients that the yeast will need/want.

Thanks!

The honey dissolves easier in warm water, yes. But be sure that it is cold again before pitching the yeast.

And yes, boil the bread yeast again. Or boil a new batch of bread yeast.
Why can't he just get the baker's yeast moist in a small amount of filtered water and get it nice and hot in the microwave?

Why can't he just get the baker's yeast moist in a small amount of filtered water and get it nice and hot in the microwave?

Should aso work. But my guess is that it desintegrates a bit better in more water and longer heating time and thus should be more bioavailable for the little cannibals in the most.

IIRC, the only time I've used yeast as 'nutrient' was when a packet made it's way into a purchase I made from a LHBS (I didn't pay for it, don't recall how it got in there). I tossed it into the boil (beer) towards the end. Otherwise I use actual yeast nutrient. Yes, yeast can/will consume their dead relatives if available. I've just always had actual nutrient blends available for use. Since a little goes a long way, it's not hard to keep in stock.

Back