Bray's One Month Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the flavor profile of a BOMM at 2 weeks, for comparison? I'd like to be at a point where I can know if there is a problem early on and attempt to fix it with nutrient or aeration, or if it's doing fine.

The BOMM right now tastes exactly like a dry white wine, I expect it to clear and taste great in another 2 weeks,

However, using the same practice as a BOMM I replaced water with apple cider. I'm now beginning to believe that the acidity of both the honey and cider may have required a bit more potassium bicarb for a quicker aging. There is an unpleasant sourness at the moment but I've had this flavor diminish before.

Ok so I want to try the 1gal BOMM, got all my equipment finally just waiting on some Wyeast1388. Going to do 2 batches one just plain and the other I'd like to make into a blackberry vanilla melomel. So here's my question, if I want more of the berry flavor and not so much the fermented flavor should I add the berries and vanilla in secondary or primary and at what SG should I rack? Am I looking at racking when it hits below 1.02 or sooner?

Ok so I want to try the 1gal BOMM, got all my equipment finally just waiting on some Wyeast1388. Going to do 2 batches one just plain and the other I'd like to make into a blackberry vanilla melomel. So here's my question, if I want more of the berry flavor and not so much the fermented flavor should I add the berries and vanilla in secondary or primary and at what SG should I rack? Am I looking at racking when it hits below 1.02 or sooner?

As a general rule, unless you REALLY WANT TO, add fruit to secondary.

You'll rack when it hits 1.000 and a substantial amount has cleared (the only purpose for racking).

Vanilla doesn't inhibit yeast proliferation. Vanillin is metabolized by yeast, therefore, adding to primary is negated.

Better brewing through science!

What is the flavor profile of a BOMM at 2 weeks, for comparison? I'd like to be at a point where I can know if there is a problem early on and attempt to fix it with nutrient or aeration, or if it's doing fine.

The BOMM right now tastes exactly like a dry white wine, I expect it to clear and taste great in another 2 weeks,

However, using the same practice as a BOMM I replaced water with apple cider. I'm now beginning to believe that the acidity of both the honey and cider may have required a bit more potassium bicarb for a quicker aging. There is an unpleasant sourness at the moment but I've had this flavor diminish before.

Ahh, sorry! Missed this one. At 2 weeks, the BOMM is dry and has some bite from the leftover CO2. Definitely get some honey and also some yeast taste since it's still cloudy. If you follow the protocol, there shouldn't be anything to fix.

For cysers, I generally add twice as much K2CO3 to compensate for increased acidity. Cysers without spices tend to need >2 months to age out the malic acid bite. Apples are very high in malic acid, so it takes a while. Tastes great once it ages out. Wonderful carbonated too!

Ahh, sorry! Missed this one. At 2 weeks, the BOMM is dry and has some bite from the leftover CO2. Definitely get some honey and also some yeast taste since it's still cloudy. If you follow the protocol, there shouldn't be anything to fix.

For cysers, I generally add twice as much K2CO3 to compensate for increased acidity. Cysers without spices tend to need >2 months to age out the malic acid bite. Apples are very high in malic acid, so it takes a while. Tastes great once it ages out. Wonderful carbonated too!

Thanks. I'll do some smaller batches experimenting with the potassium bicarb & nutrients for cysers in the future. Perhas the time can also be dwindled to a month.

Has anyone made this with WLP570 and Wyeast 1388 to verify there is a difference? Wyeast is difficult for me to get and my White Labs stocking LHBS is within walking distance of my house.
I will be getting 5 lbs. local honey next week.

Has anyone made this with WLP570 and Wyeast 1388 to verify there is a difference? Wyeast is difficult for me to get and my White Labs stocking LHBS is within walking distance of my house.

It's been tried. WLP570 does NOT equal Wyeast 1388.

Northern Brewer sells Wyeast 1388 and ships with ice packs if needed.

So I got my 60 pounds of orange blossom honey and I am waiting on the yeast and yeast nutrients to get here. I cant wait to start on my first BOMM. I plan on making a video for those that like watching videos as I am one of those people.

So I got my 60 pounds of orange blossom honey and I am waiting on the yeast and yeast nutrients to get here. I cant wait to start on my first BOMM. I plan on making a video for those that like watching videos as I am one of those people.

If you are doing all 60 lbs in one batch, be sure to make a 5 gallon batch as a STARTER. Don't know if that is what you are doing, but I thought I would throw it out there.

I am going to make 5 gallon batches so I am thinking i can make 4.5 maybe 5 batches because i want to sweeten some. I am not a fan of dry drinks.

How can this be achieved? making lower abv or sweeter end product without sweetening at the end.

I tried this for the same reason. It doesn't clear quickly (took almost 4 months) and it tastes...odd. Drinkable, but not quite right, when dry. Back sweetened to about 1.01 it tasted fine, much like the honey used to backsweeten.

I tried this for the same reason. It doesn't clear quickly (took almost 4 months) and it tastes...odd. Drinkable, but not quite right, when dry. Back sweetened to about 1.01 it tasted fine, much like the honey used to backsweeten.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am getting my 5 lbs of honey tomorrow. I'll take a drive to get the Wyeast, I'll make it a date with the wife! No hurry - this will be a good Winter project. :)

Hoping to rack my pineapple bomm off the pineapplr into teritary for another month before bottling sometime this weekend, and infusing a bacon vodka for use in the bacon bomm tonight.

Alright, well I think I've identified a long standing problem.

I tasted my BOMM and my cyser the other day. The cyser was bland, but ok. Backsweetening would have fixed it. The BOMM tasted very nice, delicate.

I added 1/2 tsp sodium metabisulfite and 2.5 tsp sodium sorbate to 5 gallons to stabilize.

Now I taste - the flavor profile is changed slightly, with a kind of coating on the tongue, almost as if I've 'burnt' my tongue, there is a slight prickly-ness, and something resembling a sourness.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone who stabilizes?

OK, I just bottled my first BOMM last night. One gallon is plain and I dry-hopped the other gallon with Whitbread Goldings. Since I had only made beer up to this point, I was quite surprised by the amount of alcohol warming that's present. I'm not sure if I have fusels or not. Isn't there supposed to be some alcohol warming in any mead? What have others experienced?

The dry-hopped BOMM is quite interesting with a really intense tropical fruitiness.

Warming? As in your stomach? Or 'hot' 'burning' on the tongue?

The prior is ethanol content, the latter is fusel alcohols.

I've got my first batch of BOMM going. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since pitch and I'm only down to 1.025, from a starting SG of 1.12. My basement where I ferment can be a few degrees cooler than the rest of the house, but I believe its still around 68 or so. Fermentation started off nicely but slowed down considerably around 1.04. Is a slow ferment with 1388 typical?

I did SNA and gently shook it each day until around 1.08 when I stopped and just left it alone. Think it could be the CO2 or possibly Yeast dying from alcohol? It is still bubbling albeit slowly so I'm not too worried yet.

You did SNA until 1.08? What did it start at? Unless you're OG was 1.24 (doubt it) you still have some sugar breaks to hit...?

What was your OG? if you followed the directions your OG should be around ~1.1, and SNA additions would take place ~1.066 and ~1.033.

I misspoke slightly. I did SNA at about 1.09 and again at about 1.065 or so. I opted not to do the last one because I've also read about not giving it nutrient below the 1/2 sugar break. It seems there might be some disagreement on that? OG was 1.12

I misspoke slightly. I did SNA at about 1.09 and again at about 1.065 or so. I opted not to do the last one because I've also read about not giving it nutrient below the 1/2 sugar break. It seems there might be some disagreement on that? OG was 1.12

??

According to the BOMM and your OG you would give the nutrients at pitch, active fermentation, 1.08 and 1.04.

I had read the Hightest FAQ on SNA located here http://home.comcast.net/~mzapx1/

Does anyone have any input on this? He says to have all nitrogen additions in by the 1/2 sugar break due to yeast not being able to take up the nitrogen beyond that point.

Hightest is pretty highly regarded in the Mead community from what I gather. What does everyone here think?

Warming? As in your stomach? Or 'hot' 'burning' on the tongue?

The prior is ethanol content, the latter is fusel alcohols.

Well, I tried another with a friend last night, and I think it's just the ethanol content that I'm referring to. I'm just not used to drinking mead, and it seems like the alcohol is usually hidden better in big beers.

I had read the Hightest FAQ on SNA located here http://home.comcast.net/~mzapx1/

Does anyone have any input on this? He says to have all nitrogen additions in by the 1/2 sugar break due to yeast not being able to take up the nitrogen beyond that point.

Hightest is pretty highly regarded in the Mead community from what I gather. What does everyone here think?

I've heard this as well and I'm willing to agree.

As far as the ability of DAP to be absorbed into yeast after 1/2 sugar break, all the scientific testing was done in wine. Not mead. Also, they didn't add K+ which helps the uptake. You could try adding just Fermaid K in the last addition to see if there is a difference.

Sigh* I know it's tough, but just follow the directions. I don't understand not following my protocol because of hightest post and then wondering why it didn't work. This thread is Brays One Month Mead. Maybe a bit unconventional, but it works! All my ferments are complete in 14 days or less unless I add more honey. Usually 7 days is enough.

As far as alcohol bite, oak cubes and vanilla beans are a wonderful additions that smooth the rough edges. Age also will do this.

Its a good point. This is a BOMM.

If you're curious as to why things work, experiment (And make [your name here]'s mead). If you don't have the time, money, or ambition to experiment, stick to the protocol :)

Day 2 on my first bomm, the ferment is starting to get going really well.
Already just tasting the OB honey i know this will be so much tastier than my first batch. I can't wait.

Guys, experimenting is how we learn. I have the utmost respect for the work loveofrose has done to figure out that the 1388 yeast makes a kick butt mead in a short amount of time. I also realize that changing things up, making mistakes is how we all become better wine makers. Please don't discourage that.

Guys, experimenting is how we learn. I have the utmost respect for the work loveofrose has done to figure out that the 1388 yeast makes a kick butt mead in a short amount of time. I also realize that changing things up, making mistakes is how we all become better wine makers. Please don't discourage that.

I think anyone on the boards would tell you that I never discourage experimentation (my extensive list of weirdomels should show that). What you are doing is not an experiment. An experiment has controls and fully posted data. You would need to do a side by side batch following my protocol and the new test protocol. You would then need to measure the gravity every few days to get a kinetics curve of the gravity drop. Afterwards, you need to do a full tasting notes description of each mead. Pros and cons of techniques, then your interpretation of the fully represented and posted data. I did all of this for the testing of all 10 yeast selected when is was searching for a fast yeast.

Please don't misunderstand. I'm not in any way against a legitimate improvement in the protocol. In fact, I would welcome any improvement! For instance, a bunch of folks at gotmead have tested Fermaid O in place of Fermaid K and DAP. I've also tested it. The pros are a very aromatic mead. The cons are an extremely slow fermentation rate and the method require a metric ****load of Fermaid O. The point is a side by side unbiased testing was done and reproduced by several different folks. This is how we advance our craft. No one takes in personal to be challenged, but the challenge must be documented and backed up by data as well as presented such that others can reproduce the results.

If you would like to throw your hat in the ring, I would be happy to help with experimental design. If you report improvement, then I will reproduce your data and report it. Just let me know. I'm always game for a good experiment.

Bray, I feel that there might be a little bit of a misunderstanding. I assure you that I am in no way, shape, or form challenging you. I am sorry if it came off that way. I am brand new to all of this, but have a huge desire to learn as much as I can. Part of my way of learning is to make mistakes. As a complete newbie, I happened to see slightly different viewpoints from those with much more experience than myself, and was simply mentioning it for further discussion. I agree with you that it is not experimentation - that was the incorrect word to use. It is however how new people to this art learn and begin to form our own opinions.

Once again I am sorry if I offended you in any way. I'll be returning home from my 4-day trip tonight to check on my BOMM. Hopefully it finished fermenting! It was still bubbling slowly when I left so I'm not too worried. Looking forward to sharing it with friends and family on Thanksgiving!

No apology necessary. I was not offended in any way. I'm happy that you are learning our craft!

ok well, lesson learned. Degas must before adding nutrients. Had a huge bubble up and mess.
Day 4 sg 1.60

Back