Brau Supply sv240 vs high gravity ECB-AV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eamster

Reaction score
I am looking for a single vessel controller for a eBIAB system and was wondering if anyone has any experience with these two controllers. It looks like they should preform the same overall but the Brau Supply seems to have some more features such as an alarm, timer, etc. the only thing it lacks is the manual dial that the high gravity EBC-SV one has for the boil. Leaning towards the Brau supply but would take any suggestions.

I am looking for a single vessel controller for a eBIAB system and was wondering if anyone has any experience with these two controllers. It looks like they should preform the same overall but the Brau Supply seems to have some more features such as an alarm, timer, etc. the only thing it lacks is the manual dial that the high gravity EBC-SV one has for the boil. Leaning towards the Brau supply but would take any suggestions.

Are you referring to the 120 or 240 controllers?

There is no need for the manual dial on the EBC-SV. It's redundant because you can just use the controller to make those same adjustments. The only difference is you push buttons instead of twisting a knob. I wouldn't let that knob sway your decision one way or the other.

I do own a Brau Supply 120v controller. Top notch quality. I really like the metal enclosure it's built around as opposed to the cheap plastic stuff high gravity uses. If I were back in the market today I'd buy from Brau Supply again.

Thanks. Pulled the trigger on the Brau supply sv240. Seemed to have more features for a bit cheaper price. Thanks for the info! Makes me feel better about the purchase.

I have the SV240 and have been very happy with it - 4 brews so far. The switches are solid, the controller works as expected, and the alarm has been nice to have. The edges on the enclosure can be a bit sharp, so you'll want to make sure you don't put it on a scratchable surface.

I too am looking at this same choice, but have my eye on the SV from High Gravity. I am selling my entire 120v 5gal RIMS system and moving to a 240v EBIAB. I am really on the fence about it.
Features I am looking for:

- PID Control: Both have with a high-quality PID
- High quality build: Edge to Brau on this one. It looks like a tank. I know the project box HG uses is probably very tough... I just really don't care for the aesthetics.
- Manual boil control: HG has, Brau does not. I know it's a small thing, but I am coming from gas and I like the manual control
- 2 Pump support: HG has an option for this. It's only to control my little immersion chiller pump, but it would be nice to have.
- Tri-Clamp compatible probe: both have options for this.

When I list the features out like this, it looks like the HG has more of the features I'm looking for, and if I went with the Brau it would be because I liked the way it looked more. That's on paper, though. I'm interested in actual interactions/pictures of both.

Also, to complicate the decision more, I also have my eye on the Hosehead automated controller. The functionality and price point are awesome... but the thought that your controller could just 'crash' during a brew makes me very wary.

Back