Brass and steel reactions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigredblazer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm putting together some gas lines on my brewtus 10 and couldn't find all steel fittings, so I used both brass and steel. I know that the metals can react with each other and can cause corrosion. Has anyone had significant metal reactions or do they know a way to avoid it if the metals will be in contact (teflon tape, etc. )? Is it even something to be concerned about? Has anyone mixed base metals and fittings on other parts of their brewery? Have you had any adverse effects?

Brass and Stainless can be mixed. What you are worried about is galvanic action, which occurs when dissimilar metals are together in a suitable solution (beer, rainwater, sea water, battery acid).

The Wikipedia page has a good page and list. The rule is the closer together, the less action will occur. The father, the greater the potential. Also metals to the bottom are more reactive and those at the top less.

Zinc and copper are pretty far apart and will form a battery in an acidic solution (like rain) destroying the zinc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_series

Back