Brandywine Brown Ale...English yeast suggestion needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SethMasterFlex

Reaction score
I need help selecting an English yeast for my brown ale because I don't have much experience with English yeast (I've only ever used *1275 in a wheat beer and an IPA). I want a malt forward brown ale with some diacetyl and fruit notes (Yes I want to keep that Chinook in there :cross:). I'm leaning towards 1968, but I'm worried about having an overly sweet final product due to the low attenuation that accompanies it (I don't mind some sweetness, I just don't want it to be cloying). Will 1968 give me the results I want? If not can anyone else suggest a good English yeast to use?

7lbs 3 oz Maris Otter
1 lb Flaked Oats
8 oz Amber Malt
8 oz Chocolate Malt
12 oz Crystal 80
4 oz Special B
.5 oz Chinook FWH - 60 mins
1 oz US Goldings - 15 mins

Mash @154º

OG = 1.060
IBU = 31
Color = 27.2

*edit

I'd consider S-04 - good attenuation. Or spit the batch and use 1968 in one and S-04 in the other.
I've never used S-04. I know it's fruity. Does it get any noticeable diacetyl?

I like Nottingham Dry Yeast By Danstar.
I've used Nottingham plenty of times, it just doesn't have that diacetyl/fruit character that I want. I'm thinking of fermenting in the upper 60's for three days with 1968 for ester formation, then giving it a swirl and letting it finish up in the 72-74ºF range to let it finish. In "Yeast", Jamil suggests using two yeast strains in tandem, one for flavor profile/esters and one to finish the beer up after the first few days of ester production. Only problem is I'm going to pitch my Pumpkin Ale on this yeast cake and I don't want any Notty in that, otherwise I'd consider using the two together.

I've also read that 1098 is a good option, but I'm guessing the diacetyl levels on that are lower/non-existent?

I've used WLP005 before with some good results, little fruity, favors the malt, but can still let the hop character through. Tolerant up to about 10% I think, also a good flocculator which is great for brown ales.

Use a liquid strain. Notty and S-04 is pretty 'meh' as far as English strains go. There are some really excellent English yeast available now. wy1882-pc thames valley II is like a higher attenuating 1968 and it has a wonderful complex ester and malt character with just a hint of diacetyl. Clears well too. Also, wy1768-pc just came out and that is another superb yeast. Then there is 1187, makes a great brown ale, 1968, and 1318 for a bit sweeter one. 1275 is good, though I'm not crazy about it.

bierhaus15 said:
Use a liquid strain. Notty and S-04 is pretty 'meh' as far as English strains go. There are some really excellent English yeast available now. wy1882-pc thames valley II is like a higher attenuating 1968 and it has a wonderful complex ester and malt character with just a hint of diacetyl. Clears well too. Also, wy1768-pc just came out and that is another superb yeast. Then there is 1187, makes a great brown ale, 1968, and 1318 for a bit sweeter one. 1275 is good, though I'm not crazy about it.

I do have a few jars of this washed from a best bitter...nice and buttery but not overly fruity as I fermented lower 60's...think I'd get good fruity esters around 70?

Back