Brand new to winemaking - question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raserei

Reaction score
Greetings. I'm brand new to wine making and may have what seems like a simple question with what may be an obvious answer. I have had a batch of hard cider fermenting. The bubbles in my airlock slowed to about one every 60 seconds, so I decide to test it with the hydrometer. That reading showed that it wasn't quite done, so I'll let it cook a while longer. However, I couldn't help but taste a sip of what I drew off and what I tasted, while it smelled lovely, was quite bitter. So, the "newb" in me is all worried about having a ruined batch or if this is normal for this point in the process. Thanks in advance for your tolerance and answer ;)

You are still in primary fermentation. Lots of stuff going on inside the bucket.

Taste it again in 6 months and then make an opinion.

The longest I was able to wait was 6 week in secondary after 2 weeks in the fermenter. And that was the most delicious cider ive ever drankin.

What I do when I cant wait any more (I havnt started experimenting yet) is add sorbate and sulfate let it site for a couple days then add 3 cans of apple juice concentrate, I drank 4 of the gallons with a couple of friends within a couple weeks (adding ginger ale to add sweetness and carbonation) , then forgot about the last gallon. It ended up magically carbonating and was the best cider I ever drank. And it didnt need any more sweetness, finished out perfect!

definitely bitter? that's an odd taste for cider. sour is normal and will mellow over time.

Latest posts

Back