Brand New Keg & First Time Use Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyx345

Reaction score
I have a brand new keg which I got from Keg Connection. This is my first time kegging. My Co2 tank is filled.

The video below indicates that its a good idea to take it apart to clean before first use.

My question are:

-Do I need to clean the keg out even though its brand new before first time use?

-I also have Keg Lube as well. Do I just apply this to the gaskets on the posts and lid gasket?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would clean it even if it is brand new. There may be machining oils or whatnot in there. Afterward make sure to sanitize well also.

I would think that a little keg lube on all of the rubber washers.

X2 on what KH said. There could be something funky in the keg. When I got a new one I took it apart and used PBW on everything. After some good rinsing I put keg lube on all the o-rings and put it back together. I've only bought one new keg, the rest have been old soda ones. I use the same cleaning procedure on all of them though. It's a little peace of mind for me.

Back