braggot in layers in the secondary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wworker

Reaction score
Brewed this recipe on 6/5

2.5 Lbs Munich
2.5 Lbs Crystal
Mash at 150 F for 70 minutes

@90 minutes
6 Lbs honey

@80 Minutes
1 Oz Perle hops
1/4 Oz Whole Allspice
1 Oz Fresh sliced ginger

@30 min
3/4 Oz Cacade

@5 min
3/4 Oz Cascade

Pitch White Labs Sweet Mead yeast & let 'er rip at 55 F.

The only difference is I am fermenting at about 65-70 degrees. Moved to secondary on 6/15 after primary ferm settled down

It has since settled into 3 distinct layers. clear dark one on top-3" thick

a muddy/murky layer 1" thick under that and then the rest-18" or so is just cloudy like normal before the yeast settles.

The only reason I worry is it hasn't seemed to change much in about 4 days.

just needs more time?

I've had this happen with a couple of cysers. I just let it be & it slowly became "normal," No problems. I suppose you could give it a gentle stir to get it going. Regards, GF.

4 days is nothing. when this finishes aging and clearing after a few months, it'll be consistent.

its just the yeast falling out.

imo you put it in secondary far too soon. you should've let more settling take place in the primary. if you started on 6/5 and you racked on 6/17, that's not nearly enough time to complete the primary and allow yeast to clean itself up and settle completely after fermentation. more time would've prevented all the junk in the secondary and would've prevented your layering...

ok jessup. I'll keep that in mind. So I guess I just need to allow much more time for any brew that contains honey....

add that to the list... :)

It was a temperature gradient!! My carboy was sitting on a box in front of an AC vent with the first and most noticeable layer right at the top of the AC vent.

I took the carboy off the box and the beer level is now about 2 inches below the AC vent. The layer disappeared within 4 hours.

Friggin convection!

Latest posts

Back