BPA free mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just keeping loml happy. If the dihydrogen monoxide is hot, it's probably leaching bpa into my beer. I'm not worried about it but she is; therefore I am.

You should probably go with metal and a blanket, then. Truth is, there's a lot of guys using braided vinyl tubing, etc. at high temps and it's GOT to be dumping all kinds of nasty stuff into the beer...undetectable to the average joe because the flavors are masked by the beer itself.

I guess I'm in the camp that says, eliminate sources of bad chemicals if REASONABLY possible. It gets a bit ridiculous to eliminate all carcinogens, because after all, we're producing and drinking alcohol :)

It has been documented that there are more than 100 identifiable toxic substances found in beer.

Not really, I just made that up.

If "you're" concerned I'd go with stainless as BPA is only the latest/current overhyped concern with plastic. There will be a new fad freak-out about plastics within the next year or two. I doubt they'll find much wrong with stainless.

Personally, I'm going to stainless as my cooler mash tun is just plain worn out after 3 years. Scratches everywhere inside, its stained and the bulkhead area is flimsy. I don't like direct firing, so that isn't my concern; I have never seen a need to step mash and don't like caramelization. I'm planning on using heat tape inside some insulation for temp control, but even without presently I only lose 1-2 degrees over an hour. That would likely increase as ambient temps decrease.

You can make your own stainless cooler by inserting a stainless pot into a larger one (or use aluminum pot on the outside) and then filling the gap with expanding foam. I know someone on here did that.

That sounds like a great idea. For that matter the outside could even be plastic if you can find a suitable sized container.

BPA is a compound that is sometimes used in the production of polycarbonate. I believe the lining in is coolers polystyrene, not polycarbonate. Therefore, BPA is not an issue.

You can make your own stainless cooler by inserting a stainless pot into a larger one (or use aluminum pot on the outside) and then filling the gap with expanding foam. I know someone on here did that.

I've thought about that several times.....seems like it could get expensive....but damn, that'd be NICE.

You could even have a bottom drain on the inner pot, going to a street elbow and nipple. All of it could stay inside the outer pot going right out the side and not interfere with the bottom of the MLT.:rockin:

but you'd have to seal it really really really well and then you'd still have trouble cleaning all the tiny nooks and crannies of the threads.

I still like the idea though. Once my current 10g RM wears out, I'll probably get a couple of cheapie pots and do it.
B

I'm moving firmly into the "don't worry about it" camp. I think I'll let loml know that polypropylene/styrene/ethylene doesn't contain bpa and let it go at that.

I would never use plastic for my beer. Every year they find some new chemical leaching into our foods from it, and they aren't "fads", they are poison. There are no problems with stainless steel, so I will always go with that.

I would never use plastic for my beer. Every year they find some new chemical leaching into our foods from it, and they aren't "fads", they are poison. There are no problems with stainless steel, so I will always go with that.

Stainless steel contains chromium and nickle, which both can cause heavy metal poisoning. Not saying I think it is a concern, but saying no problems is a disingenuous given the heat and acidity of the SS in brewing.

If you wake up and eat chromium and nickel for breakfast, maybe. However, small amounts of nickel are NOT poisonous (unless you have an allergy). We, on average, consume up to 250 micrograms of nickel a day. Brewing beer (even with it's acidity) doesn't even come close to that.

Chromium actually has positive health properties. You can consume up to 200 micrograms a day safely. You would have to drink a LOT of beer in an impossibly small timeframe to consume an amount that could even be close to harmful.

So I think we can safely and confidently say there are no problems with stainless. Plastics, however, we can write pages about...

I'm moving firmly into the "don't worry about it" camp. I think I'll let loml know that polypropylene/styrene/ethylene doesn't contain bpa and let it go at that.

What's a loml?

I think that's the best strategy. The reason for the big BPA scare was polycarbonate nalgene bottles. Your cooler most certainly isn't polycarbonate, (I think bobby's right, it's most likely polypropylene), so no worries.

Hey folks. I posted this on another thread but will copy it here as well:

I'm about to get into all-grain brewing. Because I'll be using a cooler as a mash tun, I wondered about whether the plastic used in such coolers was BPA free. From looking through threads here, I couldn't find any conclusive statements. So I tweeted at Igloo coolers and they responded that all Igloo products are BPA-free. In fact, they seem to be aware of homebrewers' use of their products, as this was their reply:

@IglooProducts: All of our products are BPA-free! Igloo Coolers are great for homebrewing.

So there ya go. If you're not sure if your cooler is BPA free, you could also check the recycling number. From some other research I did online, it looks like BPA is only found in Number 3 and Number 7 plastics (but don't quote me on that).

Hope this helps.
Dave

Back