bout to buy a keg system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taintedplay

Reaction score
i have read that both ball and pin lock are similar and one isnt alot better than the other, but why then would the pin lock be 35$ vs 50$ for the ball lock on kegconnection?

Pinlocks are easier to find...basic economics...supply and demand. Ball locks are just preferred by many, but pinlocks work just fine. The only real difference, besides the connection obviously, is that pinlocks are shorter and wider than ball locks.

Also, note that the pinlock kegs can be converted to ball lock kegs. Though they're still shorter and have a larger diameter than the old pepsi kegs.

If you're looking at squeezing in more kegs into a single space (within limits, such as packing a large truck full of kegs), there's a chance you look more towards the pepsi ball lock kegs rather than the coke pin/converted ball lock kegs. Even in my freezer, the extra diameter means less floor space, and I have trouble fitting them in when all 4 are converted pin lock vs all ball lock. I usually alternate the kegs so I have 2 of each.

Most places get the Kegs in pinlock form already. So to convert them over to balllock style they swap out the old pinlocks with new balllock connectors so there is more cost.

Most places get the Kegs in pinlock form already. So to convert them over to balllock style they swap out the old pinlocks with new balllock connectors so there is more cost.

Huh? Pin lock kegs were used by Coke and are shorter and fatter than ball lock style kegs that were used by Pepsi. A "converted" keg is usually a pin lock that someone replaced the pin lock connectors with ball lock connectors...but I wouldn't say that most places get their kegs in pin locks and convert them...more that it is an option that some places will offer.

Back