Bourbon Barrel Porter Still Bubbling!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aboantopick

Reaction score
I don't know whether to be concerned or happy my beer is fermenting away.
This is a Porter that is bubbling away after almost one month. I am concerned because any other of the 5 ale brews under my belt have finished or slowed down in less than a week.
Instructions from NB say 2 weeks in primary, 4 weeks in secondary.
Here are the details: Brew day 4-21 O.G. 1.056 Danstar Windsor yeast.
2 weeks in primary and fermentation slowed down gravity measured 1.022
Racked to secondary and added 2 oz of med oak cubes soaked in 3.5 oz Makers Mark bourbon.
Fermentation Speeded up again and has not slowed for two more weeks! The video is what it is doing today. Temps have been uncontrolled at 67 to 69+ with one day reaching 71 for a few hours.
Do I need to be concerned?

http://youtu.be/MbNKZsGzCZs

What is the current SG? Windsor isn't particularly attenuative, and it may have been done at 1.022.

Do you have a krausen forming? The picture just shows an airlock, so I can't see the beer at all.

Remember that an airlock will bubble due to temperature changes, barometric pressure changes, etc, so an airlock is pretty useless as a judge of fermentation activity.

What is the current SG? Windsor isn't particularly attenuative, and it may have been done at 1.022.

Do you have a krausen forming? The picture just shows an airlock, so I can't see the beer at all.

Remember that an airlock will bubble due to temperature changes, barometric pressure changes, etc, so an airlock is pretty useless as a judge of fermentation activity.

OK I just took a hydrometer reading @ 60f it was 1.017 so it has been busy the last two weeks in the secondary.
It has an active krausen, bubbling and making noise, not huge but a good size with wood cubes floating in it. Looks to me the bubbling is from an active fermentation. My question is it normal for a wort to be active for so long?
I originally shown a video of the airlock to show how active it is and has been

DSCI0033.jpg

DSCI0034.jpg

No, it's not really "normal", but it should be about done.

Keep in mind that it's best to make sure the beer is at or near FG before racking, to ensure it does finish up especially when using a fairly low attenuating yeast strain like Windsor. You generally want to have fermentation done before adding oak.

I'm going to brew this soon and and would like some feedback on the best yeast recommendations. Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast or Wyeast 1728? Also, given this has a OG of 1065, how many packs/vials and is a starter recommended?

I'm going to brew this soon and and would like some feedback on the best yeast recommendations. Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast or Wyeast 1728? Also, given this has a OG of 1065, how many packs/vials and is a starter recommended?

I will post on how this comes out but I f'd up from the beginning. I cheaped out on the yeast and got the $4 dry yeast, no prob since my OG was low, partly or all because I had a spill problem. I mashed in my kettle and poured the mash in my tun after 1 hour. I inadvertently left the valve open and lost about 2 cups of the heaviest wort so O.G. was 1.054. It was a good mash, hit temp and time and sparge just right otherwise. Doing it again I would use a liquid yeast so I could make a yeast starter or double starter so this fermentation would finish more quickly. BTW at two weeks in the secondary I pulled some out to test FG and the smell and taste was killer!

NB actually recommended the dry yeast given the heat of traveling right now. I'm brewing it this weekend and will rehydrate the yeast and anticipate a great brew in a few months. I plan to let it condition until the end of October.

NB actually recommended the dry yeast given the heat of traveling right now. I'm brewing it this weekend and will rehydrate the yeast and anticipate a great brew in a few months. I plan to let it condition until the end of October.

Good luck!
I bottled mine a little over two weeks ago now, smelled great!
Danstar here too.
Another two weeks and I will try one
Cheers

Back