Bourbon Barrel Porter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knucklenitz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello - I'm doing an all grain kit from NB, Bourbon Barrel Porter. I added the 1oz. of medium oak cubes and 16oz of Makers Mark to the secondary carboy and racked on top. I'm three weeks in and tasted. Not the amount of bourbon flavor I expected.

Recipe says another week at least. I'm wondering if the bourbon may have stratified and my thief sample didn't get much of it. Anyone experience this? Or maybe my expectations are too high? I'm paranoid about contamination so I don't want to go in for a bunch of samples. Really looking for more flavor and wondering about possibly adding more at bottling...

Here's my .02 cents worth: leave it go another week...or two. Then, when you rack it over to the bottling bucket and add the priming sugar, also add more bourbon, if you'd like, and stir the entire mixture GENTLY to make certain everything is well-mixed. Bottle as usual, let them condition for several months and enjoy!

I've got a twelve-pack of BBP left from my brew in August 2011! Should be getting tasty about now!

glenn514:mug:

Beer can and probably should stay on oak cubes at least a couple months to really get that oaky flavor. If you're patient enough, let it go a few more weeks. And like Glenn said, you can always add more bourbon.

My attempt with this beer (AG) has a bit too much bourbon. I added 20oz of Woodford Reserve and the resulting aftertaste is a little "hot". I also soaked the oak in the bourbon for a week before adding to the secondary where it stayed for an additional 3weeks. My personal opinion is this resulted in just a little too much oak flavor. All in all, a good beer but I am leaning towards a vanilla bourbon porter next time.

My attempt with this beer (AG) has a bit too much bourbon. I added 20oz of Woodford Reserve and the resulting aftertaste is a little "hot". I also soaked the oak in the bourbon for a week before adding to the secondary where it stayed for an additional 3weeks. My personal opinion is this resulted in just a little too much oak flavor. All in all, a good beer but I am leaning towards a vanilla bourbon porter next time.

That is the most whiskey I have read of being added. ~Most~ I have seen used about 6-10 ounces. Some thought 10 too much, others added more at bottling. I thinl 16 oz. was the high until I read your post. I would agree with you that with that much whiskey (real good whiskey in your case) in there it might be hot and the bourbon might dominate more than enhance.

Like the feedback. I'm thinking in my case the bourbon must have settled on bottom and since I have the short thief (haha), I must not have gotten any of that flavor in my sample.

I'm going to chill out a bit and let it ride for at least a couple more weeks as dougdecinces suggested. Patience...

Back