Bouquet IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swingerwc

Reaction score
I made this post on Brew board in 2009:

I'm making and IPA help me out please

8 lbs of Palt Malt Extract
24 Ounces of Raw Honey

started 60 min hop schedule

and are you ready for this because it will probably make you go nutz...
(don't know why I got so caught up in making this so complicated and just wrong.. just excited i guess haha!)

60min 1 ounce of Columbus
51:30min 1/2 ounce of Columbus (yeah.. why?)
45min 1/2 ounce of Centennial
1/2 ounce of Columbus
30min 1/2 ounce of Centennial
1/2 ounce of Cascade
15min 1/2 ounce of Centennial
1/2 ounce of Cascade
1min 1/2 ounce of Centennial
1/2 ounce of Cascade

I added Yeast nutrient to the last 10 min
and the honey and some orange zest at flameout
pitched WLP001 California Ale at 80degF
And I WAS planning on Dry Hopping the last 1/2 ounce of Cascade into the secondary

OG: 1.061

The above batch despite how much i thought it was a catastrophe theoretically.. it came out amazing.

I'd like some help with this one:

here is the recipie and i would appreciate any advice.. im confident that I will like this and i'm not too worried about conforming to style but if someone sees anything in here that gives them the creeps let me know please. I need help with the hop schedule... i was considering a 45 min boil but im not sure.. in MY theory i could keep the IBU's down while keeping the flavor and aroma prevalence of the hops up.

10 lbs pale LME
2lbs honey (possibly)
*some* bitter orange peel
2 lbs honey malt
2oz Columbus
2oz cascade (dry hop 1 ounce if i decided to use an ounce of the citra towards the end of the boil)
2 0z citra (dry hop 1-2oz
wlp001 California yeast

thanks guys for any input!!!!!!!

im looking for a very "hoppy" beer with lots of citrus and floral notes.. i would like to see some grapefruit flavor come through also. Now while i would like to see a lot of hop flavor i dont want my batch to be overkill on bitterness.

Would it be wise that in order to keep the IBU's from going well over 100 to only start the hop schedule around 45min.. i heard that might not be a good thing cause the hop oils need time to "marry" to the water molecules and high heat over time will do that.

also I have quite a bit of honey malt (specialty grains) and I would really like to see its prominance in this beer. I know I have 2 pounds which is well enough for this but how long would you recommend I steep the honey malt for?

I assume you have brewing software from your numbers. I'd change your hop additions so you have one at 60 and then do everything else at 15 and after. I'd dry hop with citra and amarillo because it's my favorite combination to make an IPA that's bitter but not overly resinous. Make sure you have the later additions as flavor instead of boil if you have beersmith.

The marrying thing is called isomerization. It's a product of boiling the hops in the wort and the oils being broken down and becoming part of the liquid (roughly explained). I'm a huge fan of honey malt and crystal malt. If you're going to add honey I'd do it at the end of the boil. And the orange peel will go well with the citra.

2lbs of honey malt is too much IMO. 1lb or even 12oz gives you a bunch of honey flavor

I think you've got a point but he's going for something floral (if I'm not misunderstanding) so while generally speaking I'd put 2# in ten gallons I'd still say it will work for something in the specialty mish mash something IPA beer. Plus it will give a more round flavor for the honey he might put in there. And if he doesn't add honey and just goes with honey malt then he'll still have plenty of flavor.

hey thanks! I already have the ingredients.. they are being sent.. the part in question is the hop schedule, which double D has shed some light on. My plan was:
50 - 1 oz Columbus
35 - 1oz Columbus
20 - 1oz cascade
10 1 oz cascade
flame out - 1oz citra
dry hop secondary 1 oz citra OR 2 oz Citra an rework hop schedule

please don't be afraid to put your two sense in I've made about 3 original batches and a couple more kits and need the advise.. just please know that im just learning and not too concerned by parameters

i've stopped 60 minute additions and gone with FWH with all of my recent hop-forward brews and it's worked out DELICIOUSLY
that and adding the rest of the hops from 15 minutes on

thetragichero said:
i've stopped 60 minute additions and gone with FWH with all of my recent hop-forward brews and it's worked out DELICIOUSLY
that and adding the rest of the hops from 15 minutes on

I also do the same thing now with all hop forward beers. Works VERY well.

I do the same thing actually. I write it down as a FWH but keep a consistent time. Depending on the style and what I'm going for. If you forced me to make a choice I'd FWH with an ounce and then move your 35 min to something else. Like a half ounce extra in the FWH and a half oz extra in the dry hop or someting. It's in the middle of the boil and you don't really get any of the benefit from any angle on that portion of the boil.. You've boiling off the majority of the flavor components and you're not efficiently using the bittering qualities of the hop. I like the 20,10, and flameout. But for me I'd dry hop with 2 oz if not three of some of the good floral stuff like citra.

II think centennial would have given the strongest "floral" smell of all the hops mentioned. But it still be damn good

Back