Bought my first decent knives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a beginner course... Not that I'm complaining, as that was perfect for me. It was 2 hours, they went over how to hold a chef's knife, how to hold your fingers out of the path of the blade, and went through basic techniques for how to dice various vegetables. About 20 minutes was spent talking about what various knives are used for and how to care for them.

If you already have a strong foundation and know that your foundation is doing things properly, it might not be worth it. But if a refresher on the basics sounds good, it should deliver on that.

Thanks.

Good knives are an investment. One of the best things I did for myself almost 20 years ago was purchasing a bunch of nice knives. Mostly Wustoff and a couple Henkels. I take good care of them and they have served me well. I love my 10" wide chef's knife. With good knife skills I can make short work of a pile of stuff that needs chopping.

Learning good knife skills is worth the time. Recently I went to a restaurant supply store and they were having a knife demo with several brands of knives out. I picked up a chef's knife and started going at some vegatables they had to chop. The guy running the demo immediately asked what restaurant I worked for. When I told him I was just a home cook, he said that I had pro knife skills. Made me feel pretty good.

20 years ago the knife coices were not as good as today, but I still do not reget buying the knives I did.

Keep them sharp and you are good.

Years ago I got my wife a nice set of knives. She tortures them in a way that should be illegal. While I resharpen and hone her knives every few months, I got tired of not having a sharp knife when I cook. I bought myself a few inexpensive Old Hickory carbon steel knives (I really prefer carbon steel). I hung them on a magnetic strip in the garage and set one rule for my wife: "Never, ever touch my knives." I keep them razor sharp and always have a good knife available. Of course she violated the rule one time and thought she'd wash it and hang it back up before I found out. I discovered my favorite knife was covered in rust :mad:

Yup, anyone worthy of homesteading note truly appreciates carbon steel blades and true cast iron cookware. These aren't the basics, they are the ultimate. Of course they do require a little maintenance.

I always clean my carbon steel knives by hand, dry them and coat with mineral oil before putting away. My wife will throw hers in the dish washer and then wonder why they get dull so fast.

I use mineral oil on my stones so all I do is wipe off the grit when done sharpening after use. I was taught to always put your tools away ready for the next use. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Oh, man. I kick myself in the ass for ever buying the cheap coated pots and pans. Cast iron is the way. Whether cooking on gas or electric, cast iron does all you need or want.

Well, okay, we can keep our stainless brew and seafood pots. But that's it. Cast iron for all the rest.

Back