Bought my first big sack today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got my first sack today -- 50 pounds of Rahr 2-Row for about 35 bucks at Midwest. I'm going to dump it in one of those big Rubbermaid plastic storage tubs and store it on a pallet in the basement. Can't wait to crush and get my first sack-batch going in the next week or two. Prost. :mug:

I too have sack envy. Do these great prices everyone is throwing around include shipping or do you have local sack connections?

Seems like group buys are a big thing, but I assume a LHBS would sell by the sack. That's what I did. They just grabbed it off the pallet. Shipping 50 lbs of grain has got to cost a pretty penny if it's not cargo...

Group grain buys are the only way I get my base malt now... At least 4 sacks at a time, all 55 pounders too. Not those scrawny 50# sacks, but manly 55# sacks. :ban:

One of the benefits of joining the local HBC is they have group grain buys three times a year... By the time my sacks are getting low, another grain buy will be happening. :rockin:

Finally picked my first sack today! 55# for $40... Food grade Lowes buckets with gamma lids.

7a51c91d.jpg

7603b450.jpg

So I don't have a grain mill, but I'm thinking if I buy bulk that the crusher would eventually pay for itself eventually. Don't ya think? I suppose I could do a bit of math to figure it out exactly...

I want to own every part of my process, so a mill is a must have for me. Of course everything as budget allows.

So I don't have a grain mill, but I'm thinking if I buy bulk that the crusher would eventually pay for itself eventually. Don't ya think? I suppose I could do a bit of math to figure it out exactly...

Depending on which mill you end up purchasing, will determine how long before it pays for itself. I wouldn't make that the only factor you consider when looking at mills though. Personally, I wish I had gotten the one I have now the first time. I went with a cheaper one (Barley Crusher) that did a decent enough job. But then I had a chance to sell it to another HBT member, and I ordered up the Monster Mill... Wish I had gone that route from the start. I would have spent less, total, if I had. :drunk:

I'm sure there are going to be plenty of people who will say how the Corona mill is perfectly fine for milling your grain. Just as you'll find people loving the mill they have at this time. If you have a chance, check out the different mills in action before you make a purchase. See if there are members close enough to where you are, that you can go over on a brew-day to see how the mill they use works. Then you'll be able to make a more informed decision.

BTW, milling your grain on brew day, as you start brewing, is priceless. The longest my grain sits, crushed, is about an hour. Then it's into the mash tun. :rockin:

Golddiggie said:
Depending on which mill you end up purchasing, will determine how long before it pays for itself. I wouldn't make that the only factor you consider when looking at mills though. Personally, I wish I had gotten the one I have now the first time. I went with a cheaper one (Barley Crusher) that did a decent enough job. But then I had a chance to sell it to another HBT member, and I ordered up the Monster Mill... Wish I had gone that route from the start. I would have spent less, total, if I had. :drunk:

I'm sure there are going to be plenty of people who will say how the Corona mill is perfectly fine for milling your grain. Just as you'll find people loving the mill they have at this time. If you have a chance, check out the different mills in action before you make a purchase. See if there are members close enough to where you are, that you can go over on a brew-day to see how the mill they use works. Then you'll be able to make a more informed decision.

BTW, milling your grain on brew day, as you start brewing, is priceless. The longest my grain sits, crushed, is about an hour. Then it's into the mash tun. :rockin:

Thanks! Good advice, the monster mill is awesome!

I typically pay $30-$40 per 55# sack of either Bairds UK 2-row or Maris Otter... That's still less than half the price of any other place I've tried to get it from. Group grain buys are a way to save a good amount of money on malt... It's also the main reason why I joined the local HBC... :D

Just joined the club. Bag sitting next to the mash tun, or 'mouse tongue' as my 2 year old assistant brewer would call it.

ForumRunner_20120210_165411.jpg

Oh I'm sure.

Luckily I've convinced my co-brewer and girlfriend how much more cost effective it is to buy the sacks, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I love my monster mill, I figure it took me ten sack to pay it off, for me that was just shy of a year.

nice, but im warning you your sack will be empty in no time

I picked up a sack of pale malt in October. I still have a little of it but I bought my second sack 2 weeks ago, a little higher priced this time. The first one there was a mistake made and the checkout forgot to charge me. I called the next business day to pay and he said he would not take my money.:fro:

periwinkle1239 said:
Wow 500 lbs of grain. You doing 10 gal batches?

All my equipment is for 5 gal batches, don't think that I want to make the jump to 10.

Its kinda worth it if you brew a lot. Girlfriend and I have a toddler running about and brewing every weekend wasn't as fun as it should be. Now we just pick a recipe, do a 10 gallon batch and pitch different yeasts.

Wow 500 lbs of grain. You doing 10 gal batches?

All my equipment is for 5 gal batches, don't think that I want to make the jump to 10.

Yes, I'm doing 10 gal batches. I just couldn't keep up with demand doing 5 gal at a time. It makes it nice because I split the batch between a corny keg and bottles so by the time the keg kicks the bottles are well conditioned and close to thier prime flavor wise. Some times I even brew two batches back to back on the same brew day since it really only adds a bout 1.5 hrs. I don't always get to brew every weekend so doing it this way allows me to have a good pipe line even if I have to go a month without being able to brew.

Just want to share my beautiful sacks :) Picked up all 3 of them from CMC warehouse for $25 each. 2 Superior Pale Ale and 1 Pilsner. I also have unfinished sack of Munich, Wheat and Vienna.

2012-01-21125457.jpg

paraordnance said:
Just want to share my beautiful sacks :) Picked up all 3 of them from CMC warehouse for $25 each. 2 Superior Pale Ale and 1 Pilsner. I also have unfinished sack of Munich, Wheat and Vienna.

Nice sacks! Where is the warehouse?

I'm guessing Canada.......somewhere.

Bought my second sack last week. Rahr 2 row at about $1/lb at my LBHS.

The savings paid off my Corona style mill before I even opened the bags since the mill was a Christmas present thus $0.

BTW I am getting 70 - 80% efficiency with the mill.

paraordnance said:
Didsbury, AB where I buy them. That pale ale malt is fantastic!

Only 1,530 miles away. Wonder how many $25 sacks id need to buy to break even on my current price of $40!

I did really like the CMC pale. My first big sack purchase will always hold a special place in my heart.

Here in the UK the sack costs 22.50 UKP - I usually make 7 x 6 gallon brews from it, so the cost is not an issue.

Bought my 2nd sack!!!

Wanted to check this thread for the price I paid, $39. Yesterday same CMC 2 row was $46.

Bad year for lots of crops, eh?

Back