Bottom opening "Keg" Mash and Lauter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

64stangman

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to create a bottom opening for a keg rather than from the side?

I'm thinking of a 1in opening on the bottom with an elbow on the outside and a valve.

Idea: could be good for mashing with a false bottom already inside and then lauter out - with all SS pipes and welding. I could even use it for step mashing with a pipe from the bottom through the center of the burner and then attach the elbow with a valve. (Sorry for the bad description I cant find any photos to describe)

I'd love to read y'alls thought before I begin cutting/welding.

~Matt

Yes it has been done many times and is quite effective. Brewhardware.com has kits. You would be the first I think to do it on a gas burner. People with this setup are running either electric RIMS/HERMS or gas HERMS

Has anyone attempted to create a bottom opening for a keg rather than from the side?

I'm thinking of a 1in opening on the bottom with an elbow on the outside and a valve.

Idea: could be good for mashing with a false bottom already inside and then lauter out - with all SS pipes and welding. I could even use it for step mashing with a pipe from the bottom through the center of the burner and then attach the elbow with a valve. (Sorry for the bad description I cant find any photos to describe)

I'd love to read y'alls thought before I begin cutting/welding.

~Matt

Wouldn't the wort burn that's in this pipe?

If you invert a keg, and cut the now "top" out of it, you're almost done.
The "bottom" now has a 2" Tri Clover fitting, and you can source everything to make it a bolt together deal.
A 2" elbow, to a 2" cap, that has a 1/2" nipple to attach a ball valve to, and you have it whipped.
Add the false bottom, and have at it!

But, I'm watching this, to see how it works out for you with a burner.
I doubt that you'll scorch the wort in the 2" elbow, if you are gentle with the heat application.

I am currently working (slowly) on this project myself. I have a 1/4 BBL Sanke I will convert to a mash/lauter tun with a bottom drain. I want to have a weldless fitting from said bottom to an elbow then a long nipple to the ball valve under the tun. Problem is that all this hardware is lower than the bottom skirt of the keg and it won't sit flat. After many half sleepless nights, the solution became clear. I will take 4 rigid casters, unscrew the wheels, turn them over and after drilling the proper size holes in the bottom skirt, reattach them upside down so the flat part of the casters become legs to raise the mash tun and the hardware can now sit under the vessel. Sorry for the verbose explanation; how does this sound to you? Great idea or crackpot stupidity? Be honest please. When I do this, I will post pics.

That could work, I saw guy on here build legs on his bottom drain kegs so there wasn't a need for a stand. I think most folks just cut a hole in the stand for the plumbing, but you might be on to something, maybe throw in a tippy dump for the MLT.

I definitely agree on the "sleepless nights" - as far as burning of the wort, I think it will be ok. I was more worried about burning of grains that would fall through the false bottom and into the pipe, but my burner opening is roughly 3.5in. (9cm)

side note - I still need to build some type of wind guard

gas burner.JPG

I don't think placing a burner under something like that will work well. I would think it would be pretty hard on the gaskets even if it didn't scorch. Don't mean t be a buzz kill...just my 2 cents worth. Good luck though!

Cool burner stand Stangman, I've never seen one like that! You could employ a heat shield between the flame and the bottom of the MLT to reduce chance of scorching, stir often. Wind guard? How about a 17 gallon galvanized utility tub (Home Despot $20, maybe cheaper if you look around). It looks like the burner would sit in it nicely. Need it taller? you could attach aluminum flashing around it with sheet metal screws.

Back