Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In fact in post #14 I did not mention anything about bottling buckets, and I did not, nor would I, recommend that. The rest of your condescending and presumptuous reply is not worth addressing, other than that I stand by my advice, which was given with courtesy, respect, and experience. That's how I approach all of my exchanges on this forum... even this one with you.

Oh please... The OP states in post #13:

You are correct that this is new to me at least the conical and co2 part. I have done AG before but not on this system. I guess I will empty the conical into bottling buckets, add my priming sugar and then bottle from there.

This is after the fact that his beer was thought to have been sitting under pressure. You clearly acknowledged this fact in post #14, which happens to be the very post in which you instruct the OP to add priming sugar based upon a calculation which accounts for the level of carbonation already achieved:

Fermenting and packaging under pressure is great with a keg, but bottles - man... I know at least that *I* wouldn't touch that with a 10' mash paddle. You may be built of stronger stuff! :)

The issue now is that if your beer is under pressure, you will need to calculate how many volumes of CO2 are already in it, in order to compensate when bottling. Otherwise you'll get the proverbial bombs. You can't just use the standard priming sugar calculators that assume fermentation at atmospheric pressure.

For example, if your fermenter is sitting at 65ºF and held at 10 psi, you already have 1.41 vols. CO2 in it. To carbonate and get 2.4 vols., you'd want to enter 1.0 for target CO2 vols. in a priming calculator. That's the difference between what you already have and what your actual target is.

Your advise, thus far has discouraged the OP from even attempting to achieve one of his goals. A goal with which you do not seem to have any experience with based upon the lack of information you used to support your argument. Your advise also contains critical flaws that would have created problems for the OP if he were to have followed it. I do not see how misdirecting and misinforming an individual can be considered courteous, or respectful. Unless perhaps you work for mainstream media. Don't be surprised when someone disagrees with you and brings it to your attention.

Before my last reply to post #30 (your post) in this thread, your only other posts, ones which you deemed helpful, were posts #12 of #14 in which you say:

and

In both of these post you steer the OP away from bottling his brew directly from the unitank. Your argument indicates that bottling carbonated beer from a unitank is some out of reach possibly that would only result is total disaster, for which the OP should "shoot some video" of it. This argument is made without any support, which by definition, makes it baseless opinion. On top of that you told the OP that he needs to pressurize his fermenter to "20-something psi range" to reach proper carbonation levels in preparation to bottle at 60F. This is well above the maximum rated working pressure of the OP's vessel, which hopefully is safe guarded by a PRV. If you knew anything about bottling carbonated beer, you would know that it can not be done at 60F without ending in the foamy disaster you alluded too. In post #14 you recommend to the OP that he could move his partially carbonated beer to a bottling bucket and add priming sugar to finish carbonating in the bottle. Luckily @Vale71 was able to add some actual knowledge that hopefully derailed the disastrous result this beauty would have produced.

My advise to the OP (@tommy24a) is you just invested quite a bit of money in some pretty nice equipment. Congrats! You should be motivated to learn about it, and to use it to its full capabilities. While researching you might find that some of the processes that must be utilized to achieve a specific goal are beyond your current skill level. Some of them might require additional tools/equipment that you currently do not have or wish to aquire. The decision to not attempt these processes are YOURS to make. Many members, including myself, will be more than happy to outline the steps required to achieve a specific result. Happy Brewing!

Well This is the first sad read I have had>>>>>>>>>>>> That said not looking forward to other critique of this nature. Your opinion is yours as mine is mine. and the fellow member you criticized has his. Nothing personal, but after 72 years of living I think we all just need to be nice 😡

[Moderator's Note]
Yes guys, play nice together!

Discussion and critique is fine, pointing out bad advice is appreciated, just show us why and provide an alternate process that's better.

No name calling, no personal attacks, or this thread gets... Shut Down!

Before my last reply to post #30 (your post) in this thread, your only other posts, ones which you deemed helpful, were posts #12 of #14 in which you say:

and

In both of these post you steer the OP away from bottling his brew directly from the unitank. Your argument indicates that bottling carbonated beer from a unitank is some out of reach possibly that would only result is total disaster, for which the OP should "shoot some video" of it. This argument is made without any support, which by definition, makes it baseless opinion. On top of that you told the OP that he needs to pressurize his fermenter to "20-something psi range" to reach proper carbonation levels in preparation to bottle at 60F. This is well above the maximum rated working pressure of the OP's vessel, which hopefully is safe guarded by a PRV. If you knew anything about bottling carbonated beer, you would know that it can not be done at 60F without ending in the foamy disaster you alluded too. In post #14 you recommend to the OP that he could move his partially carbonated beer to a bottling bucket and add priming sugar to finish carbonating in the bottle. Luckily @Vale71 was able to add some actual knowledge that hopefully derailed the disastrous result this beauty would have produced.

My advise to the OP (@tommy24a) is you just invested quite a bit of money in some pretty nice equipment. Congrats! You should be motivated to learn about it, and to use it to its full capabilities. While researching you might find that some of the processes that must be utilized to achieve a specific goal are beyond your current skill level. Some of them might require additional tools/equipment that you currently do not have or wish to aquire. The decision to not attempt these processes are YOURS to make. Many members, including myself, will be more than happy to outline the steps required to achieve a specific result. Happy Brewing!
Thanks for your help....yes I am trying to learn as much as possible about my system. I am sure I will have more questions in the near future. Just wanted to setup my son with some decent equipment from the start. I have co2 equipment on order and the next will be a glycol chiller and can machine after that. Then "Dads" hopefully done with the high dollar stuff for awhile. Lol!

Thanks for your help....yes I am trying to learn as much as possible about my system. I am sure I will have more questions in the near future. Just wanted to setup my son with some decent equipment from the start. I have co2 equipment on order and the next will be a glycol chiller and can machine after that. Then "Dads" hopefully done with the high dollar stuff for awhile. Lol!
I understand your Unitank is a new acquisition, but a I asked before, how much experience do you have with beer brewing?

On and off about 1 1\2 years started with extract and latley moved to AG. But it was all with propane , BK and cooler MT. And then fermented in Glass carboy.
Alright!

Some asked earlier, why bottle everything? Most of us, rather sooner than later, move to kegging. Corny keg type, not Sanke.
Yes, it's another outlay and some work to build, but the time and perhaps space savings are definitely worth it.
Plus you can transfer to kegs without introducing oxygen (air) to your beer which causes oxidation. Oxygen exposure is much more difficult to avoid with bottles, even when filling straight from the Unitank.

Alright!

Some asked earlier, why bottle everything? Most of us, rather sooner than later, move to kegging. Corny keg type, not Sanke.
Yes, it's another outlay and some work to build, but the time and perhaps space savings are definitely worth it.
Plus you can transfer to kegs without introducing oxygen (air) to your beer which causes oxidation. Oxygen exposure is much more difficult to avoid with bottles, even when filling straight from the Unitank.
Understand the keg options. Eventually he want to can his brew to take to friends and family. But until we get the canning system we are going to bottle for awhile.

Quoting Advance here:
In post #14 you recommend to the OP that he could move his partially carbonated beer to a bottling bucket and add priming sugar to finish carbonating in the bottle. Luckily @Vale71 was able to add some actual knowledge that hopefully derailed the disastrous result this beauty would have produced.

Hahaha oh man! I would have paid to see that **** storm in action

Have you seen some of the topics here (and over in reddit's /r/homebrewing) where people are reporting success bottling NEIPAs?
Problem with NEIPAS is that they oxidise very quickly. Hard to bottle without removing oxigen first. But some people are having success with a beer gun and a lot of co2

Understand the keg options. Eventually he want to can his brew to take to friends and family. But until we get the canning system we are going to bottle for awhile.

You/he might want to think again about the canning option. I really get the "wow" factor of presenting some canned beer; it's def a couple steps of cool above bottling to show off and can be very professional looking, and that's worth something to many (me included, I'll admit). But for me anyway a review of the application and costs/benefits has led me to generally keg (for home) and occasionally bottle (e.g. give aways, competitions and specialty brews such as trappist ales). As most here will agree, bottling is a lot more work and time, and I expect canning is as much or moreso, not to mention the relatively high expense at our volumes. For "give aways", bottles are perfect. It is inexpensive (esp. if you get your bottles back and/or have a cheap source), and you can print your own fun labels if you are so inclined. I expect these gifts to be drank rather quickly, and not be very susceptible to going off. I don't want to have many dozens of bottles (or cans for that matter) sitting in my fridge(s) for home consumption, which is another value of kegs. This is only my perspective, and please do what you want.

You/he might want to think again about the canning option. I really get the "wow" factor of presenting some canned beer; it's def a couple steps of cool above bottling to show off and can be very professional looking, and that's worth something to many (me included, I'll admit). But for me anyway a review of the application and costs/benefits has led me to generally keg (for home) and occasionally bottle (e.g. give aways, competitions and specialty brews such as trappist ales). As most here will agree, bottling is a lot more work and time, and I expect canning is as much or moreso, not to mention the relatively high expense at our volumes. For "give aways", bottles are perfect. It is inexpensive (esp. if you get your bottles back and/or have a cheap source), and you can print your own fun labels if you are so inclined. I expect these gifts to be drank rather quickly, and not be very susceptible to going off. I don't want to have many dozens of bottles (or cans for that matter) sitting in my fridge(s) for home consumption, which is another value of kegs. This is only my perspective, and please do what you want.
Thanks for your input.. I value all suggestions and ideas that have been posted. Its what makes these forums a great source and a wealth of information to reference. Lot of things to consider for sure. Thank again!

Latest posts

Back