Bottling with Starsan in the bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennyd

Reaction score
I did this yesterday. I washed bottles, let them dry and sprayed the inside of them with 2 sprays of starsan from a spray bottle. I swirled it around and dumped the bottle. I did not, however, let the bottles completely dry before filling them with beer. I'm not sure what I was thinking (obviously I wasn't).

Will this impart any off flavors in the beer? I know it won't "hurt" anything. I'm just wondering if it will noticeably affect the flavor. I guess one thought I had was that I know starsan breaks down into food for the yeast........so am I right in thinking this may actually help carbonation?

I know this is kind of dumb. I figured after doing this for a year, I'd be done with the "help....I messed up" threads.

It will not effect the flavor.

Actually, your not supposed to let it dry. It's recommended that the surface of the items your sanitizing are to remain wet with Starsan.

I sanitize my bottles with Star San using a pump device called a Vinator. Without rinsing, I put them upside down in the dishwasher, run the dishwasher (with no detergent or other product), then bottle. The only result is great beer. This is why they call 'em "no-rinse" sanitizers.

I sanitize my bottles with Star San using a pump device called a Vinator. Without rinsing, I put them upside down in the dishwasher, run the dishwasher (with no detergent or other product), then bottle. The only result is great beer. This is why they call 'em "no-rinse" sanitizers.

I do the same thing minus the dishwasher.
But by running them in the dishwasher, aren't you in essense rinsing them?

Yep, a vinator is definitely on the list. Sorry, Revvy to bring up a topic that has been beaten to death. I haven't seen it talked about and I could have searched it. Thanks for the great info.

These two batches are my first two using Starsan. So, yes, I've heard the "don't fear the foam" talk. I'm just getting used to something new. Thanks again.

I do the same thing minus the dishwasher.
But by running them in the dishwasher, aren't you in essense rinsing them?

Nope- dishwasher won't spray up into the bottles, neck's too narrow. The main point of the dishwasher is backup sanitizing, by raising the temperature of the bottles. Possibly not needed, just redundant.

I always used the dishwasher as well. But I really liked spraying and filling.........the bottles, I mean.;)

Took me a while to not fear the foam, but once I got around to accepting it, I had no problems with leaving star san in bottles when filling. At the moment, any time I clean bottles, I bottle blast them with hot water, spray star san in with a vinator, dump most of the star san out, then flip the top, or cap the bottle for storage to keep dust or other crap from getting in. Seems to be working out well so far. Generally, when the bottles have been sitting for a bit, the foam settles back into enough liquid that once you open the bottle to fill it, the last little bit can be poured out.

Nope- dishwasher won't spray up into the bottles, neck's too narrow. The main point of the dishwasher is backup sanitizing, by raising the temperature of the bottles. Possibly not needed, just redundant.

The dishwasher does spray into the bottles, I tested this with 2 dishwashers by taking a bottle out before the dry cycle starts. It doesn't spray a lot of water but plenty gets in there from the jets and steam that is created from the water and heat. I'm not trying to be a jerk but you are wasting your time with the starsan. Starsan sanitizes, it doesn't clean. Since the bottles are already clean you only need to Starsan them. Putting them in the dishwasher just allows "dirty" water into the sanitized bottles and then just re-sanitizes them with heat. I'm not much of a green person really but you're also wasting water and money :)

The dishwasher does spray into the bottles, I tested this with 2 dishwashers by taking a bottle out before the dry cycle starts. It doesn't spray a lot of water but plenty gets in there from the jets and steam that is created from the water and heat. I'm not trying to be a jerk but you are wasting your time with the starsan. Starsan sanitizes, it doesn't clean. Since the bottles are already clean you only need to Starsan them. Putting them in the dishwasher just allows "dirty" water into the sanitized bottles and then just re-sanitizes them with heat. I'm not much of a green person really but you're also wasting water and money :)

H'm. I've heard this both ways now, decided to play it safe to this point. But since you've actually tested it out, when I brew the next time I'll try it with just the SS.

I've tried the dishwasher method due to laziness and while it does get water in there and does help clean them it's not efficient enough. Soak them in a little oxy if you need to clean them. Then star san them. Then going forward just give them a nice hot rinse and shake to clean them.

Bottle on Starsan foam all the time; also put wort in the primary on wet Starsan and rack it into a secondary on wet Starsan then same for the bottling bucket.

Used to fear the foam but got over it.

You were probably thinking that you wanted to ensure that your bottles were sanitized throughout the process. If that is the case, then you were absolutely right.

I always do this - easier and better

Not really adding anything new to the thread but I do the same thing. The vinator is awesome to sanitize the bottles, then I just line them up and bottle with a little starsan in the bottom... Never had any issues

Back