Bottling with concentrates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corosis

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a question about calculating priming sugar with a tea concentrate. The only sugar granting ingredients in the ingredient list are evaporated cane juice and honey. The nutritional statement says that there are 19g of sugar per serving. So how should I take this into consideration when bottling? Should I take that 19g per serving and subtract it straight out from my calculated priming sugar (I use white table sugar)?

Thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Someone's been listening to basic brewing, eh? ;)

I posted a break down of how to do it in my bottling thread.

Revvy said:
The October 2010 Basic Brewing radio was all about alternative priming methods, and the guest (who btw, although he is a minister, from michigan, and is an expert on bottling, is NOT ME, but the coincidence is freaky) offers info on calculating how to prime with strange things.

October 28, 2010 - Alternate Priming Sugars
Home brewer Drew Filkins shares his technique of using alternative ingredients to put the bubbles in his brew.

Click to Listen-Mp3

Hydrometer readings and sugar content charts from HomeWinemaking.com http://www.home-winemaking.com/winemaking-2b.html

Here's what I'm doing with my Sri Lankin Stout, bottling with Jaggery Mollasses.

The October 2010 Basic Brewing radio was all about alternative priming methods, and the guest (who btw, although he is a minister, from michigan, and is an expert on bottling, is NOT ME, but the coincidence is freaky) offers info on calculating how to prime with strange things.

I'm working on the calculation for using Date Palm Syrup from Bangladesh to prime my Sri-lankin stout. Using the podcast info

Basically what you need to do is look for the sugar or carbhydrate amount in the syrup and the serving size, they are defining it by.

You also want to first calculate how much corn sugar you would normally use to carb to whatever style you are aiming for, then convert that to grams. Then based on the amount of sugar (OR CARBOHYDRATES if sugars is not listed, which on some products labels they don't) per whatever serving size they give, you then will know how much of the stuff to use..

Ie, my stout I want to carb to 2.45 volumes of co2, which measures out to 4.3 oz of corn sugar at 70 degrees.

That works out to 121.9 grams....

I am planning on carbing it with some Jaggery Mollasses that I found at a bangladeshi market.

I found online via google, that it contains 12 grams of sugar/tablespoon. So to get to 122 grams I need about 11 tablespoons.

That works our to about 5/8 of a cup. I will add that to enough water to get to 2 cups and boil it.

If you CAN'T find any nutritional info (which by law I thought it has to be posted somethwere) you're going to have to fudge it...you can treat it as mollasses, or honey and use the recommended measurment. I have a chart in my bottling thread that shows honey, maple sugar et al.

More info on post 5 of this;

Bottling tips....

Hopes this helps!!!! As you can see Filkins uses the corn sugar amount, NOT the table sugar amount for his calculations. So that's what I'm going with.

:mug:

haha, actually I haven't. Though I think now i will have to. I was just using science thinking skills :) haha Sounds great! So what I am hearing is it is safe to assume the what they list as "sugar" on a nutrition statement is fermentable sugar?

haha, actually I haven't. Though I think now i will have to. I was just using science thinking skills :) haha Sounds great! So what I am hearing is it is safe to assume the what they list as "sugar" on a nutrition statement is fermentable sugar?

This all isn't precise, but yeah.

The thing to remember is that it is the "unfermentable sugars" that actually give you flavor, that's why you are choosing not to just use pure table or corn sugar which will ferment out...but won't affect flavor.

I go into a great deal of depth about that in this post on using honey in beer, it should give you an idea.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/al...d-away-how-can-i-add-some-207447/#post2422295

Someone a couple days ago wanted to use a syrup and it had both a sugar and a carbohydrate number, and there were 5 grams more of carbs than sugar...I'm wondering if the difference in the numbers represents the unfermentables that contribute to flavors.

In a lot of way we're sort of breaking ground with this stuff. Up until the podcast I never considered trying other things to prime with, except the traditional corn sugar, table sugar, dme,brown sugar, mollasses and honey...but now I'm hooked in playing around.

But we're sort of flying by the seat of our pants.

:rockin:

Thats the only way to fly, if you ask me! I'm actually making an American Chai Stout for Iron Brewer round 6. I'm using the chai concentrate at bottling, but it also has sugars in it, and don't want bottle bombs! :)

Thats the only way to fly, if you ask me! I'm actually making an American Chai Stout for Iron Brewer round 6. I'm using the chai concentrate at bottling, but it also has sugars in it, and don't want bottle bombs! :)

I wish there were an iron brewer happening around me, I've wanted to play that since i first heard about it on basic brewing.

Do you guys have a website where we can follow along. I'd love to see what you guys are brewing.

Chai in stout should be fantastic...are you using the oregon concentrate?

I'm in the national Iron Brewer so you can follow it at www.ironbrewer.com :) We're doing a local version also, but not much online for that one, though there is some on our facebook page for our local club if you search for RAZE Brewing on facebook, or there is a link off www.razebrewing.com

I am using the oregon origional concentrate. I tried to get a jug of Caribou Coffee's concentrate, but didn't come together. I added one "box" of concentrate when I transfered to seconadry and added the dry hops, and now depending on how well that came through when I bottle today, I'll bottle with it also (all my math ended up in needing 2.9 cubs of the concentrate, so I'll add 3 and call it good)

I'm one of the Round 6 Brewers: Scott Stroh

Funny I was going to make a comment. A Stroh Brewer, how cool.

Any relation to THE Stroh's brewing dynasty????;)

strohs2.jpg

Haha, no relation, not sure if thats a good thing or not.....Would be cool to be related, and I'd probably have a lot more money than I do now, but at the same time.......its not very good beer. :) I'm hoping that the name helps me get the loans when I'm ready to open my brewery though :)

Back