Bottling with coffee.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyZymurgy

Reaction score
In late september two friends and I brewed a Toasted Coconut Mocha Porter The recipe was based on AHS Toasted Coconut Porter but I can never leave well enough alone. So I modified the recipe a bit and coffee malt and belgian coco powder as an adjunct. Then as per the recipe used a dry hop tecnique with the toasted coconut.

This past friday as I was finishing up sanitizing my bottles I yawned and thought that I could use a cup of coffee. Then it struck me that the coffee notes were barely detecible in the sample I had just tasted so why not brew a mild pot of coffee (about half as strong as I would normally brew) add my priming sugar and boil it. I couldn't see the harm in it so I went for it and primed with coffee. I've heard of people adding coffee directly to secondary but the idea didn't occur to me at that point.

Has anyone else attempted something like this? If so how were your results?

I was a bit shy with it. I didn't want to completely ruin the brew. I was hoping that the coffee malt and the coffee itself may work together to give a subtle flavor.

If it worked at all I can always adjust it for the next batch. Maybe some french pressed espresso next time around.

Hopefully it is right where you want it.

the beauty of kegging is that you can add a litltle more and a little more until you get it.

I put about 3oz of cold brewed strong coffee in at bottling on both my 3 gallons of founders Bfast Stout clone and 3 gallons of Kentucky Bfast Stout (so 6oz total for 6 gallons). Still got a couple of weeks of carbbing up before I give it a try.

Back